Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY19 B8 wagon Fuel tank capacity?

Users Country Flag

MY19 B8 wagon Fuel tank capacity?

The specs say 68L .

However I've put 72L in twice now. Two different servos.
    VW will only provide the figures from the specs.
    I filled when the needle was on top of the thick red line both times. (half way in the last segment)
    Last time the dash informed me I had 10km range left.
    I suspect there is still around 40-50 km left, as that is about what the top half of the red gave me.

Can anybody through any light in this please?

TIA
    Ron

Users Country Flag
    ‘Usable’ volume and actual volume can be two entirely different things. VW likely quotes what they regard as usable volume - the volume that can be picked up by the low pressure delivery pump when the vehicle is on any reasonable angle. Actual volume is likely to be anything up to 7 or 8 litres more.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I never let my cars go below 1/4 of a tank. You are just asking for trouble (fuel starvation) otherwise. Plus my anxiety kicks in with any less than 1/4 tank.

As mentioned above, the useable volume of fuel is what you need to be concerned with.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the input guys.

It seems I've discovered a useable volume of 72+ Litres.

So I'm still looking for factual information on tank capacity.

Users Country Flag
    My guess is somewhere between 76-80L but I would not be too keen on finding out the answer.

The fuel tank on my Audi SQ5 is said to be 75L, but I fill up every 10-14 days and rarely put in more than 40-50L each time because I don't like it getting anywhere near empty.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks for your input.
    However as mention a couple of times now, I cannot understand why anybody don't use the full capacity of the tank. That's what it is there for. There are plenty of warning electronics built in. (Having a range of over 1000km is achievable with the 1.8L TSI) The electric pump is in the bottom of the tank, is it not, and will draw fuel from the bottom. Therefore. any thought of picking up dirty fuel is not possible, and with the filter attached. By (almost) emptying the tank, you overcome any problem problem of stale fuel being stored.
    Filling up every 10-14 days should keep a fairly fresh supply, I must admit, but I wonder if you did get one batch of dirty fuel, it would still eventually block the filter later, than if used without "diluting" that bad batch with fresh fuel, and would show up ealier?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Zart View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    However as mention a couple of times now, I cannot understand why anybody don't use the full capacity of the tank. That's what it is there for.
    We are all different - I don't like to, you obviously do. Some people will take off for a trip on the highway with 1/4 tank of fuel and fill up along the way, I will fill up before I get on the freeway. This way if there is a traffic jam / crash / some sort of emergency etc I know I wont run out of fuel. Neither way is right or wrong, just different strokes for different folks. I don't ever want to be that person who runs out of fuel on the side of the road.

And if you have ever had a car with a faulty fuel level sender then you will understand why I don't trust what the gauge says, especially as its nears empty.

My SQ5 regularly achieves 800km on a tank with our style of driving (another 200-300km out of the tank is possible on the freeway) but I feel comfortable knowing the tank is full and there is always fresh fuel going in the tank.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks for you input Lucas. I understand your reasoning, about filling up before you leave on a trip.
    On my last trip, I filled up at home, then some 800km into the trip (cheaper fuel available) then again at home after 1066km.
    Tank took 74.5L. So maybe it's is 75L the same as the Audi mentioned above.

Users Country Flag
    I dont understand why people let it get down to the last few litres and then have to panic to find a servo. I had an occasion once to go a different way and mistook the distance and had to use Maori overdrive down all the hills to get to the next servo which on the road I was on was a long way away. Taught me a lesson and I never ever did that again. Same as where we live now. Get caught by an accident on the Bruce with an low tank and you may regret it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Might b a similar situation with the Passat - with the Superb, the brochure states it has a 65L tank, but Oz spec'ed Superbs gets the optional larger tank as standard. Bringing the capacity up to 75L.
    I confirmed this using erWIN Online, which gives u an 8-pg report of every PR build code specific to ur car.
    In some European markets, they get to option up to the larger tank.
    Other markets don't get the option.
    The Oz market does, but the marketing department here don't know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast