Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MY19 B8 wagon Fuel tank capacity?

Users Country Flag

I also have pumped more than 70 litres of fuel into my B8 wagon's tank on several occasions (well according to the bowser that is). But there was another reason for this ...

Like Lucas_R, I look to fill up when the gauge gets close to 1/4 empty, for no reason other than convenience. And I always noted the DTE never got below 250km (giving a theoretical range of 1000+km).

I thought I'd test this recently in an attempt to determine the car's true range on a tank of fuel ... only to run out of fuel ... with indicated 1/4 tank and 250 km DTE ... on a quiet bit of country road ... smart eh!

Thankfully VW road service was less that an hour away. And that VW service centre was eventually able to diagnose and replace my faulty fuel sender, which the car had from new!
    VW Passat MY19 206TSI Wagon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Bugger on the faulty sender. I'd carry a spare 5L if I was going to try that...which I may do soon.

Thanks for the input all.

Users Country Flag
    Another reason why I like to fill up early - on Sunday afternoon we got flooded in the relentless heavy rainfall which hammered Newcastle last week. My Subaru was written off (submerged in approx 52cm of water) but luckily I was able to save my wife's Audi due to it being parked on slightly higher ground at the time of the flood event and also the fact that its an SUV so it sits a bit higher off the ground compared to my Subaru.

Given that it was quite a stressful situation, with my wife away for work training, I had my young daughter (who was petrified) dog and cat to rescue all on my own - I was relieved that the Audi had approx 2/3rd's of a tank of diesel, so not only was I able to drive 30 mins without stopping to stay the night with family, but now I also don't need to risk filling up with diesel that has water in it (both my local BP's were flooded also) from the local service stations, because I have enough fuel to last me 7-10 days.

In this instance, I will run the tank down quite low to avoid for as long as possible filling up with contaminated diesel.

The pros far outweigh the cons for me.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by XM640 View Post
    I thought I'd test this recently in an attempt to determine the car's true range on a tank of fuel ... only to run out of fuel ... with indicated 1/4 tank and 250 km DTE ... on a quiet bit of country road ... smart eh!

Thankfully VW road service was less that an hour away. And that VW service centre was eventually able to diagnose and replace my faulty fuel sender, which the car had from new!
    Faulty fuel level senders are quite common. My mother in laws Ford Falcon ran out of fuel several times (why you would allow it to happen more than once I dont know....not the smartest people) with the fuel gauge and the digital display still showing reasonable range left. My brothers Mazda RX8 ran out of fuel several times with anything less than about 1/2 tank showing (turned out to be a valve that regulates fuel between the left and right side of the tank was faulty - common issue on the RX. I had to rescue him one night with a 10L jerry can on the freeway in the pissing rain - fun times.

Anything less than 1/4 and I start stressing out.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    B7 was 77L if that helps
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    My B8 206 My2018 Wagon has a 66 ltr tank

Users Country Flag

I have put 76L in my 2017 sedan on many occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12