Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MY16 Cracking internal Door handle trims

MY16 Cracking internal Door handle trims

Hi all.

So I purchased my Passat MY16 as an ex demonstrator in mid August 2017. It had about 2000km on the clock and was immaculate. Driven by the dealership manager.

I have now had the car for than less than one year, I use it as my daily driver as well as for work. Recently ticked over 30k.

I’ve taken care of my car as if it was my baby.
    This morning as I jumped into the car to pick up groceries I noticed a piece of plastic flapping on the internal door handle.

It’s from the plastic trim on the inside of the handle, on the other side it’s leather trim.

It’s clearly cracking along the entire handle.

This is something one could expect from a 10yo car but not one that is less than 2, and only driven for a year.

I quickly called the local VW dealership who said to book in a viewing by the team.

To me it looks like poor quality/factory defect as this part of the handle being used daily shouldn’t perform like this after such short period.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [2016 (MY16) Passat 140TDI Highline R-Line Wagon, Pearl Black, 18” Monterrey’s]

Warranty claim. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long for it to come in. For this type of stuff I’d take it past the dealer at a not so busy time (I.e. not start/end of day) and get the service guys to take a look/order the part/book it in.

It’s likely going to be a 2 visit fix as unless they have the trim part in stock they’ll have to get the part in and rebook for another day.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Hi Joey,

That's a shame that your door handles are doing that!
    In the time I had mine, I never experienced anything like that.
    Also, by looking at your pic, it appears like a manufacturing defect.
    I m sure VW will sort this out for you mate.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

That looks like a whole new door card to me. There is only a few replaceable parts on the door cards these days such as electrical connectors, switches, lighting strips and reflectors. The components of the card are plastic welded/ heat pressed together and aren’t designed to come apart. Don’t think they keep whole door cards as a spare part in Australia, but you never know.

there should be zero issue for a warranty claim, as the defect is either the material, or the assembly of the door card.
    Last edited by limiteded; 24-07-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    MY18 Golf Alltrack 135tdi - DA pack, SL pack without sunroof, Info pack : tungsten silver

MY16 Cracking internal Door handle trims

Thanks for your input.

I took the car down to the VW dealer and Service centre at Newstead in Brisbane.

They had a quick look at it, took some photos and asked if the car still was under warranty. I said yes as it is.

One of the girls who looked at it quickly said she doubted that it would be covered under warranty but they would send the photos away for review and would get back to me within 48 hours.

VW doesn’t have the best rep when it comes down to customer service so if they reject the claim I will escalate to Fair Ombudsman, ACCC or similar as it should be covered by the 3 year warranty as per Australian Consumer law.

Warranty | Volkswagen Australia

Users Country Flag
    Maybe try a different dealer if you get no joy, I've had indirect experience of not being very willing to push warranty claims at that dealership. Also, has the car been parked in the sun a lot?
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Hey.

It’s always parked inside the garage at home, while I’m at work it’s outside.

Sun damage shouldn’t happen so fast but...

I’ll try the Springwood dealership where I purchased the car if VW Newstead rejects it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Passerati View Post
    Thanks for your input.

I took the car down to the VW dealer and Service centre at Newstead in Brisbane.

They had a quick look at it, took some photos and asked if the car still was under warranty. I said yes as it is.

One of the girls who looked at it quickly said she doubted that it would be covered under warranty but they would send the photos away for review and would get back to me within 48 hours.

VW doesn’t have the best rep when it comes down to customer service so if they reject the claim I will escalate to Fair Ombudsman, ACCC or similar as it should be covered by the 3 year warranty as per Australian Consumer law.

Warranty | Volkswagen Australia
    If VW do not honor this under warranty, just get the part number for the handle trim piece and buy it yourself. For the sake of no more than $50 i certainly couldnt be bothered going to ACCC etc where you will no doubt waste far more of your time filling in forms and talking on the phone etc than what the trim piece is worth.

In saying that, you can see a mould line in the trim piece that follows exactly where it is cracking - so it's obviously a weak point in the mould.

Users Country Flag
    Hmm ok, does it have aftermarket window tint?
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

The dealer probably just wants you to go away. It’s going to cost them
    more in time sorting it out than they are going to make fitting the new trim.

Best off taking it back to the dealer that sold you the car if you can. They (hopefully) will be a bit more interested in sorting it out for you.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast