Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monterey wheels with R-Line package

Monterey wheels with R-Line package

Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a MY18 Passat wagon. We've taken the standard Comfortline wagon for a test drive and it was great. We were initially really interested in the Luxury package although not fussed about the sunroof, but after seeing the sunroof am not keen on the design so that option is gone.

However the other thing that caught our eye is the overall look of the R-Line package and the active info display. Our only reservation is the ride on the 18" wheels, and unfortunately we can't find a dealer with an R-Line package available (either sedan or wagon) that we can test drive.

Hoping there may be some members out there who've driven both the 17" and 18" and can provide some personal comments?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AzzaC; 14-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Users Country Flag
    If you want comfy.

Got a 206 with ACC.

Otherwise down sizing the wheels as much as possible. Even 16” I would say yes.

Currently running on 19”.

I can only say it’s horrible regarding ride comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AzzaC View Post
    Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a MY18 Passat wagon. We've taken the standard Comfortline wagon for a test drive and it was great. We were initially really interested in the Luxury package although not fussed about the sunroof, but after seeing the sunroof am not keen on the design so that option is gone.

However the other thing that caught our eye is the overall look of the R-Line package and the active info display. Our only reservation is the ride on the 18" wheels, and unfortunately we can't find a dealer with an R-Line package available (either sedan or wagon) that we can test drive.

Hoping there may be some members out there who've driven both the 17" and 18" and can provide some personal comments?

Thanks!
    Hi AzzaC,

For reference, the following make up the Passat Model range in OZ atm;

132TSI
    132TSI Comfortline
    140TDI Highline
    206TSI R-Line
    (all available in sedan and wagon)

So your comment about taking a "standard Comfortline" Wagon for a Test Drive refers to a 132TSI Comfortline which comes with 17" London Alloy Wheels (215/55R17).
    The Luxury is worth its weight for the LED Headlights in all honesty!!!
    As for the Panoramic Sunroof, well I guess that is just part of the package and each to there own.

The R-Line Package used to come with 19" Verona Alloy Wheels (235/40R19), but they have now dropped to 18" Monteray Wheels (235/45R1 (most likely due to harsh ride).

As mentioned, the 206TSI R-Line has ACC and that would help.

The 140TDI Highline has 18" Dartford Wheels and the ride is fine.

There are no 16" wheel options available locally.

The Active Info Display is great!!! (although I do not have it)...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    My wife has a comfortline on 17’s. My Alltrack Wolfsburg is on 19’s. Hers rides much better. Am supposing the 18’s would be somewhere in the middle...?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    So your comment about taking a "standard Comfortline" Wagon for a Test Drive refers to a 132TSI Comfortline which comes with 17" London Alloy Wheels (215/55R17)
    Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Test drive vehicle was 'Standard' as in the 132TSI Comfortline that was not optioned with any packages.

I really do want the LED headlights in the luxury pack, but the other half took one look at the sunroof and gave it a big no because of the blind rather than a 'hard-type' cover. I guess I'm not convincing enough!

Main interest in the R-Line package is the active display, but can live with the 18's if the ride's not too harsh for the family. If only there was a package that included the display and the LED's...

Users Country Flag
    Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Test drive vehicle was 'Standard' as in the 132TSI Comfortline that was not optioned with any packages.

I really do want the LED headlights in the luxury pack, but the other half took one look at the sunroof and gave it a big no because of the blind rather than a 'hard-type' cover. I guess I'm not convincing enough!

Main interest in the R-Line package is the active display, but can live with the 18's if the ride's not too harsh for the family. If only there was a package that included the display and the LED's...
    If you opt R-line with Lux Pack. The blind will be black.

It’s not bad under the Australian sun.

The sunroof is massive and a beauty.

18” is still kinda harsh. Lower the tyre pressure little bit if you prefer more comfort.

R-line sport suspension does firm all the rides tho.

I have an MY18 206 with the 19" wheels and love the ride quality.
    Sport mode crashes about on Sydney's crappy roads but Normal mode is a perfect combination of firmness and compliance. I'm not a fan of Comfort mode as it's too soft for me but if you're after a luxury feel then you'll like it.
    Worst think about the 19" Verona wheels is keeping them clean! Too many tight gaps collecting brake dust

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Pomme View Post
    I have an MY18 206 with the 19" wheels and love the ride quality.
    Sport mode crashes about on Sydney's crappy roads but Normal mode is a perfect combination of firmness and compliance. I'm not a fan of Comfort mode as it's too soft for me but if you're after a luxury feel then you'll like it.
    Worst think about the 19" Verona wheels is keeping them clean! Too many tight gaps collecting brake dust
    ACC is definitely doing the job.

However, I think they are talking more about the steel suspension.

Cleaning the 19”s is a tough job!

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Pomme View Post
    Although the R-Line package doesn't have the adaptive chassis, might see if there's a 206 and try in comfort (to mimic the 18's?) and normal modes. If I can live with either then the 18's should be fine.
    Last edited by AzzaC; 15-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Users Country Flag

I have a golf alltrack which i have fitted with 19 inch rims with 235/35 tyres ride is firm but ok to me if i had adaptive dampers would be fine on comfort when tooling family around so if you can get them 18,s will be no issue for your wife then you can go sport when alone

Oh as for the L.E.D headlights its a absolute must have 1000% better than halogen lights the highbeam is just unbelievable so bright and clear i can see kangaroos miles before i get to them
    They are so bright i get reflections off road signs in the middle of the day when i am flashing other cars to warn about a speed camera

The active info display is also a must have i just love mine
    Sooo much better than analog dials and so easy to customize to your personal preference plus you can change the dash through obd 11 if you wish i had mine changed to the golf R dash much nicer than the standard alltrack one

Don't pass up the dynaudio if it is a option and you like your music it's a really really good system crisp and clear all the way to pain threshold levels have not been able to get distortion in it at all

Now to my real reason i am making this post

If you order your car from the factory you can delete the sunroof (you still have to pay for the pack but they will build it without the roof if you wish) Problem solved

Good luck with the wife
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast