Thread: MIB graphics corruption on Apple CarPlay

Users Country Flag

MIB graphics corruption on Apple CarPlay

Hi All,

I’ve now done two trips longer than ~60m in the MY21 Passat Alltrack, and twice my iPhone misbehaved badly with Apple CarPlay:
    • Graphics get corrupt on the display. I have to restart the head unit (long hold power to restart), or restart the car, and my phone to clear the issue.
      (I tried unsuccessfully to upload a photo my wife took of the garbled screen.)
    • The phone gets really hot to the touch, much warmer than in the Golf.
    • The CarPlay User Interface gets slow/sluggish and eventually gets to where a button press takes about 10-15 seconds to be registered.
    • The GPS position stopped updating in one instance.

This is using the wired connection with CarPlay. I haven’t tried the wireless as it’s a bit pointless if you’re plugging in the phone to charge in any case, and the wireless version tended to connect to the non-driver’s phone in any case.

This doesn’t happen on the Golf, and didn’t happen on the Tiguan, and I found a lot of Google results for Mercedes having a similar issue, but that’s not applicable to VW.

Any pointers to known issues would be appreciated. It’s about three weeks before going to the dealership for the post delivery service, and I would like know if it’s just my bad luck, likely having a dodgy MIB, or whether there’s a known issue (with hopefully with a DIY fix).
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    This is what the corrupted display looks like
    48135-B77-EB12-4-CF9-A049-6-EBD24-E56124 — ImgBB
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag
    Wow - something is definitely not right. Hopefully its just a bad wiring connection somewhere, but possible your MIB system or screen is faulty.

I would definitely print off that photo to take with you to the dealership for the service, and let them know before hand that you have experienced some issues with the screen/Carplay.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

We had the car at the dealership today for the “1000km post delivery service”.

Their response was to update the software on the unit and ask us to keep an eye on it, as they’re too short staffed due to COVID to test it properly, and they need more time to test the MIB unit.
    BNE Qld