Thread: Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

G'day VWwatercooled team,

I'm eager to buy a B8 Passat wagon to fit the family. Is there anything you wish you knew before you bought?

I'm currently driving a MK7.5 Golf GTI so I assume it won't be a big change - a little less fun but i'm looking for comfort and space.

Things I've started to glean from a quick forum search/review:
    1. 132TSI uses a dry clutch which will need to be replaced often (every 20k-40k) unless you get the 206TSI with the wet clutch
    2. The Sunroof options consistently have rattling and quality issues
    3. Traffic Jam Assist is normally disabled and you'll need to get ODIS to have it enabled but this is possible.
    4. .... What else should I know or look out for or specific models and packages to opt for ? ie. luxury pack or r line?

Thanks team!
    Last edited by sk8er; 19-01-2022 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fix 206TSI

Users Country Flag
    Hi

I have 2017 passat r-line 132 tsi. For someone who used to drive gti, I would suggest you to go for passat 206.

I am totally happy with my car...all option including except bird view camera.
    Today got cluctch replacement under good will and now is so smooth that is incredible. I didn't have problem except some shuddering when going from 1 to 2 nd geat and that was very internment.

I have sedan but boot, inside space is enormous. My previous car was Passat wagon and that car had ever bigger boot but less technical gadgets.

----
    132TSI uses a dry clutch which will need to be replaced often (every 20k-40k) unless you get the 206TSI with the wet clutch
    ----

Dry transmission doesn't require any service. Dry transmission got chain as well so no need replacement.
    Only wet transmission require oil change every 60K. Wet transmission using timing belt as well. Changes every 105K and costly.

206TSI using 7 speed dry transmission as well. I believe, wet transmission are reserved for diesel cars. If I am wrong, please correct me.
    -----

----

I have it, never had any problem with it..

_---------
    3. Traffic Jam Assist is normally disabled and you'll need to get ODIS to have it enabled but this is possible.
    ------

No need. So many options already enabled Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

------

4. .... What else should I know or look out for or specific models and packages to opt for ? ie. luxury pack or r line?
    ------

When i got my rline, sunroof, digital display, auto leveling headlight are part of luxury pack as well.
    360 sensors, auto parking etc could be part as well..

If you can get r-line including luxury pack you will be very happy Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saint70; 19-01-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by saint70 View Post

Dry transmission doesn't require any service. Dry transmission got chain as well so no need replacement.
    Only wet transmission require oil change every 60K. Wet transmission using timing belt as well. Changes every 105K and costly.

206TSI using 7 speed dry transmission as well. I believe, wet transmission are reserved for diesel cars. If I am wrong, please correct me.
    The 206TSI with the DQ250 6 speed wet DSG does not use a timing belt. The 6 speed wet DSG was used in the 206TSI model prior to the recent facelift, which then moved to the DQ381 7 speed wet DSG.

----

I have it, never had any problem with it..
    My 206TSI R-line wagon has the sunroof and I've had no operational/reliability issues, although it does reduce the torsional rigidity of the car somewhat. This is more noticeable when going in and out of driveways on an angle etc - there's the occasional small groan or creak. Nothing major though.

_---------
    ------

No need. So many options already enabled Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

I haven't played around with this yet. However, I highly recommend either Carista or OBDeleven to do some basic coding changes e.g. removal of the safety introduction screen, disabling engine stop-start (if you don't like it), enabling overtaking in the left lane with ACC enabled (the car will slow down if a car is going slower in the right lane as standard, which is not necessarily an issue on the freeway, but on some roads where cars enter or leave the right lane to turn at intersections etc, it can cause the car to slow unexpectedly and often rapidly. Not great. You can also change the look of the virtual cockpit dash/dials if you get the R-line model.

------

When i got my rline, sunroof, digital display, auto leveling headlight are part of luxury pack as well.
    360 sensors, auto parking etc could be part as well..

If you can get r-line including luxury pack you will be very happy Looking to buy a B8 Passat Wagon/Estate 2016+ - Things to look for

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    The R-line pack is great - highly recommended. And I agree with saint70 - if you've driven a GTI previously, going to the 132tsi in a larger, heavier body might be a little underwhelming. The 206TSI with the R-line pack is a great car to drive.