Thread: LED trailer lights - issues?

Users Country Flag

LED trailer lights - issues?

A question for those who tow a trailer with their B8 Passat....

if your trailer has LED lights, have you experienced any issues with functionality of the car detecting the presence of the trailer, trailer lights flashing rapidly etc?

I’ve done virtually no towing with the B8 but am picking up a new trailer later this week. It has LED lights. Previous experience with Euro cars and LED lights on trailers leads me to expect issues.

When I bought the car, I stumped up for one of the adapter boxes they sell in the spares department. Even so, am wondering if I need to use it....

feedback from those who have tackled this issue would be great.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    A question for those who tow a trailer with their B8 Passat....

if your trailer has LED lights, have you experienced any issues with functionality of the car detecting the presence of the trailer, trailer lights flashing rapidly etc?

I’ve done virtually no towing with the B8 but am picking up a new trailer later this week. It has LED lights. Previous experience with Euro cars and LED lights on trailers leads me to expect issues.

When I bought the car, I stumped up for one of the adapter boxes they sell in the spares department. Even so, am wondering if I need to use it....

feedback from those who have tackled this issue would be great.
    Coding to LED or resistors should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had no issues. I do find with a light (not heavy) trailer I believe cruise control still work. But when I use a larger tandem trailer it does not. Also if the trailer has items close to the car, the car detects this and turns side and rear detection.

There is a funny green light that comes on, when using the indicators, but I believe this is normal.

My tow bar was factory fitted.
    Last edited by Skoda729; 19-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    Passat Wolfsburg 2017

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoda729 View Post
    I have had no issues. I do find with a light (not heavy) trailer I believe cruise control still work. But when I use a larger tandem trailer it does not. Also if the trailer has items close to the car, the car detects this and turns side and rear detection.

There is a funny green light that comes on, when using the indicators, but I believe this is normal.

Mine tow bar was factory fitted.
    I have just purchased a Wolfsburg (I pick it up on Saturday), it also has the genuine tow bar kit. Just wondering when the tongue is on, does it interfere with the rear parking sensors? Is it best to remove the tongue for normal use? Or does it only shut off the sensors when a trailer is hooked up? Also is there meant to be a square cover to go on when you don't have the tow bar tongue on?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    I have just purchased a Wolfsburg (I pick it up on Saturday), it also has the genuine tow bar kit. Just wondering when the tongue is on, does it interfere with the rear parking sensors? Is it best to remove the tongue for normal use? Or does it only shut off the sensors when a trailer is hooked up? Also is there meant to be a square cover to go on when you don't have the tow bar tongue on?
    the towbar tongue does not interfere with the sensors.

genuine towbars come with a blanking plug
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Cheers for that!
    When I pick it up, I will have to make sure it has the blanking plate!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Cheers for that!
    When I pick it up, I will have to make sure it has the blanking plate!
    mine came with the blanking plug fitted, and the tongue and shackles in a nice vinyl bag in the boot.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    mine came with the blanking plug fitted, and the tongue and shackles in a nice vinyl bag in the boot.
    Will keep an eye out for that when I pick it up on Saturday...

Thanks everyone for the help you provided. Turns out that my vehicle has been coded to recognise LED trailer lights, so I am a happy camper
    Cheers