Thread: Hi what is the normal oil operating temperature?

Users Country Flag

Hi what is the normal oil operating temperature?

I went for a very long drive over 5 hours long and noticed that the engine was very hot. The fan was going hard out.

I have a 2016 BiTdi passat.

Users Country Flag
    With a modern diesel, if you noticed that your fans were running flat out when you turn the engine off, then its highly likely that you interrupted a DPF regeneration procedure (which the car does automatically every 600km or so).

When driving the car you would never know this procedure is taking place, but if you turn the engine off while the procedure is taking place you will notice the engine fans running flat out (and continue to run for 15-20mins), more heat than normal coming from the engine/exhaust and sometimes a strange smell.

The DPF is a Diesel Particulate Filter and its located in the exhaust of modern diesel engines. Its job is to capture the black soot particles that diesels used to spit out into the atmosphere in years gone by. The filter fills up over several hundred km's as it traps the soot particles, and when full, the engines computer will initiate a DPF regeneration which super heats the DPF and burns off the soot. The regeration procedure takes about 15-20mins from start to finish.

During a DPF regeration, your oil temperature will increase by 5-10 degrees also (normal).
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 11-08-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloanie View Post

I went for a very long drive over 5 hours long and noticed that the engine was very hot. The fan was going hard out.

I have a 2016 BiTdi passat.
    Oil is usually about 109/113 C My TD Passat often used to have the fan run on when stopped to assist with the engine cooling down. Is perfectly normal for it to do so if you turn it straight off after a long run. Is like having a turbo timer built in.

Coolant should be a steady 90C
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Oil is usually about 109/113 C My TD Passat often used to have the fan run on when stopped to assist with the engine cooling down.
    Only when you have interrupted a DPF regen by turning the car off while a regen was taking place. Not normal unless a regen is taking place at the time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys for replying. It was the last thing I wanted to have is to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanie View Post
    Thanks guys for replying. It was the last thing I wanted to have is to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.
    If you want to keep an eye on your DPF and when its doing a regen procedure, you can read this and buy the necessary parts. The Carista OBD module is $46 AUD (although im sure you can probably buy it somewhere over in NZ) and then the Android app is $5. VAG DPF app on Android to monitor DPF

The Carista OBD dongle is also a very handy device and allows you to reset service reminders/read error codes/force a DPF regen possibly saving you a trip to the mechanic/make coding changes to your car (eg disable the start/stop system and many other features).
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 12-08-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST