Thread: Extended Warranty during purchase

Users Country Flag

Extended Warranty during purchase

Hi Everyone,

I'm purchasing a MY19 VW Passat 132 Comfortline with R-line pack.

The dealer is trying to sell me extended warranty for an additional 3 years as this car has been in stock and the warranty remaining is 4 years.

Is it worth getting the extended warranty?

Thanks and regards,

Nitin

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm purchasing a MY19 VW Passat 132 Comfortline with R-line pack.

The dealer is trying to sell me extended warranty for an additional 3 years as this car has been in stock and the warranty remaining is 4 years.

Thanks and regards,

Nitin
    If you are going to keep your Passat that long, definitely worth it.

Many minor defects from Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much are they asking?

Users Country Flag
    I bought one for my Passat and never ever used it or even had the car in the shop for problems Never again especially if its a dealer only warranty and you have to get it serviced with them. Waste of money has more exclusions than inclusions and limits on what they will pay for repairs
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

If you get one, make sure its not tied down to that particular dealer or group. Also check to make sure that the amount claimable is up to the purchase price of the car and not market value or fixed. I bought one for 5years from Eric Insurance for my passat with claims up to the purchase price of the car. They no longer do 5years, only 3. But better value than any dealer specific extended warranty insurance.
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Users Country Flag
    If it's a dealer warranty then read the T&Cs as they can be very restrictive.

Factory warranty that allows you to get warranty work at any dealer is worthwhile if you intend to keep the car for that long.

If you intend to sell earlier and use the warranty as a selling point then make sure it can be transferred to the new owner.

Don't take the salesman's word for it, ask to see the clause in the T&Cs
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I bought extended warranty on my Alltrack Wolfsburg because my intention is t9 keep the vehicle for several more years. No different really than any other insurance policy - this is just insurance against problems with the vehicle, rather than insurance in the event of a collision etc.

I’ve never claimed any issues under the original vehicle warranty. It’s been flawless. When my wife had a Passat, she claimed one very minor thing.

Extended warranties are something you either believe in, or you simply don’t. Everyone’s experiences are different, and I don’t think anyone else’s opinion really matters. If an extended warranty would make you feel more comfortable, then it’s a good idea.

At the end of the day, it is an insurance policy though, so make sure to read the PDS carefully to make sure you are covered to your satisfaction.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

This is the "dealer" offered warranty we're talking about. VW confirmed they only offer the standard warranty and there's no means to extend it.

I see no value in dealer warranty since they can shut shop and the customer loses cash. They're charging ~$3K for the warranty.

They were quite disappointed when I chose not to go with the extended warranty.