Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealership Offerring "Upper Air Intake Service" That's Not on Service Schedule ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    You’d be better off investigating EGR-delete if it causes you problems.
    Tried that (software remap + physical block off plate) - caused this. Audi SQ5 alternatives?

Sounds like i'll be leaving it alone then.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY54 View Post
    I'd appreciate any advice or experience with dealerships offering an "upper air intake service" as an extra part of the 45K service schedule for the B8 Passat TDI. I live in regional NSW so I drive a balance of rural roads and the M1 motorway.

After leaving the vehicle for service, the dealership rang me and claimed they have found that the Passat TDI models build up "a lot of carbon" around the upper air intake and linkages that should be "cleaned out" every second service. They look at it as "preventative maintenance" for the customer at an extra $150. This added extra was never "offered" for my B7 Passat TDI

As I didn't have the service booklet at hand, I checked with VW Australia over the phone and they couldn't find any reference to this being part of the 45K service. So there seems to be no supplement for this extra maintenance under Australian conditions.

I'd be the last know about the inner workings of diesel motors. Maybe I'm missing something in keeping this vehicle running at its best ?
    Hi,

I've just taken my car to a VW dealer in northern NSW, possibly the same that you went to, who offered the same clean for my Multivan. Same situation as you where I dropped the car & then about 5 minutes later got a phone call suggesting a upper air intake clean be performed.

Thing is they recommended, and completed, the same clean last time I had the car serviced. When I told them this time that the work had been done last time they were apologetic but, given it was on the job card under recently completed work when I delivered the car for today's service, it did make me wonder if this is just part of their upsell tactics rather than genuinely being required.

On a previous service the same dealer also tried to quote me $170 to charge my battery so I've become a little wary.

Cameron.

Users Country Flag
    This is a common practice among dealerships. The first VW dealer I worked for had a deal with Wynns. The advisors would try to upsell A/C deodorizes, Throttle body cleans, and fuel treatments. The more they sold, the more bonuses they earned from Wynns.

Yes, the TDI and FSI engines carbon up. In my experience, the best way to deal with it is to Strip the intake side of the engine down and clean it properly. Then I would be fitting a catch can to keep the oil mist out of the intake. The oil mist is what causes the exhaust soot to stick and build up everywhere.
    2008 Passat Wagon - 125 TDI - Black on Black - All stock, for now!

Users Country Flag

On the B8 Passat, the EGR takes 'cool' exhaust gas from after the DPF. It is mixed into a separate port in the head - not mixing with intake air until basically the back of the valves. The potential for any soot to make it into the intake system is greatly reduced compared to earlier designs of EGR systems. I'd be interested to see any pictures of a disassembled B8 diesel intake system that has carbon buildup.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12