Thread: Carbon filter for A/C system?

Users Country Flag

Carbon filter for A/C system?

My new B8 Alltrack Wolfsburg was leaking strong exhaust fumes into the cabin, unlike my wife's Mk7 GTI, my previous Mk2 Tiguan Comfortline, and my Golf Alltrack, which are/were excellent at automatically blocking fumes coming into their cabins. My wife suffers badly from chemical sensitivities, particularly from petrochemicals, and she has to drive in my car a lot on trips, so at 1500km I took it in to a dealer to fix it. They told me it would have to have a carbon filter fitted to replace the standard filter, at a cost for the filter of around $50-00, plus fitting charges.
    My question is - Do the three other VW models above have carbon filters as standard, and the B8 Passat doesn't? This seems a bit unlikely as the Passat is equipped to a quite high specification.

Users Country Flag
    Easiest way to tell would be to remove the filter and have a look. If its white then it does not have the charcoal. If it looks like it once was white but was dropped into black dust, then its the charcoal version.

Very easy to change, someone on Youtube would have made a video showing how to do it if you dont know how.

This is the charcoal one:Charcoal Cabin Air Filter CUK26009 MANN-FILTER for VW Audi Skoda | Run Auto Parts
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomanyVWs View Post
    My new B8 Alltrack Wolfsburg was leaking strong exhaust fumes into the cabin, unlike my wife's Mk7 GTI, my previous Mk2 Tiguan Comfortline, and my Golf Alltrack, which are/were excellent at automatically blocking fumes coming into their cabins. My wife suffers badly from chemical sensitivities, particularly from petrochemicals, and she has to drive in my car a lot on trips, so at 1500km I took it in to a dealer to fix it. They told me it would have to have a carbon filter fitted to replace the standard filter, at a cost for the filter of around $50-00, plus fitting charges.
    My question is - Do the three other VW models above have carbon filters as standard, and the B8 Passat doesn't? This seems a bit unlikely as the Passat is equipped to a quite high specification.

My previous B8 had a Genuine Activated Charcoal Cabin Filter Part No. 5Q0 819 653 (from the factory) even my Jetta has Charcoal Cabin Filters from VW.

However what I pulled out of the Superb was a VAG Genuine FreciousPlus Biofunctional Cabin Filter Part No. 5Q0 819 669 (Mann Filter Part No. FP 26 009) - Original Cabin Filter!

MANN-FILTER Online Catalog Europe - Product Details Cabin Air Filter FP 26 009

This looks like the one for you!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Here is the Filter you need, Part No. 5Q0819669

Carbon filter for A/C system?-5q0819669-jpg
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Sometimes they have just Pollen filter, which will not get rid of the exhaust fumes. The Active carbon filter is much better for filtering the exhaust fumes from the in front traffic.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Many thanks for your responses, I guess that I'll just have to trust the dealer and replace the filter. Wife will soon tell me if they are having me on.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Update on above posts. It was not the filter. There was a manufacturing fault around the Climatronic expansion valve at the firewall, picked up by a persistent mechanic at VW Bendigo. VW Group finally approved a repair after 12 months and 5 visits to 2 dealers. I was very close to selling the car and giving up on VW's.

Users Country Flag

Update on above posts. It was not the filter. There was a manufacturing fault around the Climatronic expansion valve at the firewall, picked up by a persistent mechanic at VW Bendigo. VW Group finally approved a repair after 12 months and 5 visits to 2 dealers. I was very close to selling the car and giving up on VW's.
    Positive outcome! Thanks for the update!
    Keep enjoying your Wolfsburg!!! (they have soared in price of late)