Thread: Buyers guide for Passat R-Line wagon

Buyers guide for Passat R-Line wagon

Hi all,
    Currently scoping a Passat B8 R line wagon (circa 2017) as next car, are there any things to look out for that this model may be notorious for?

Users Country Flag
    Just a heads up, most updates occur over the course of model years (MY17, MY18 for example)...

So when you say ciraca 2017, that could mean anything...

But the biggest change was mostly to the infotainment, Discover Pro 9.2" filtered into the model line up during 2017 Built vehicles.

Basic info that will determine what is in these cars;
    Build Date: When your Passat rolls of the production line in Germany (Yes, Germany).
    Compliance Date: When it has arrived in Australia and met Australian Standards / Compliance.
    First Registered Date: Car is driven on Australian roads. Also, 3 Year Unlimited KM Warranty applies to vehicles sold prior to 1 October 2018 Warranty | Volkswagen Owners | Volkswagen Australia

Servicing: 12mth / 15,000kms (whichever comes first)

VCDS and OBDeleven are your friends...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Thanks Ope126.
    At this stage MY17 looks to be in my sites 😊

I have a 2017 Passat 206 R-line Wagon. It's the one with the older 8" infotainment screen which I think is sufficient and less prone to finger smudges.

The problems I have had are a leaky water pump at 2yrs and a dead battery at 2.5 yrs - both replaced under warranty. Original tyres were Pirelli Cinturato P7 will self sealing inside - they were worn at 40,000km which is a bit short compared to other tyres I've had in the past and my driving style hasn't changed. Just replaced with Michelin PS4S's - we'll see how they last. Still on original brakes rotors and pads - service guy said they may need to be replaced next service (apparently there will be a dash indicator).

Average fuel consumption around 9-10L/100km but I do mostly peak hour urban driving. Can get down to the mid-7s with extended freeway runs.

Overall, I've been happy with the car. It's a nice balance of performance, fuel efficiency and practicality.

Good luck!

Not sure if this issue is notorious or not but I just had both electric tailgate struts replaced under warranty, when opening and closing they sounded like a cheap diesel, they should just pur happily.
    I'd imagine they would be quite expensive to replace.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 206Harvard View Post
    Not sure if this issue is notorious or not but I just had both electric tailgate struts replaced under warranty, when opening and closing they sounded like a cheap diesel, they should just pur happily.
    I'd imagine they would be quite expensive to replace.
    I had the same issue in my previous 2016 Passat 140TDI Highline Wagon.
    VW replaced under warranty with no issues.

Would be interested to see what part numbers that just replaced yours with?

Drive Unit - Part No. 3G9827851C should be the latest revision.

The Drive Units (Struts) on my Alltrack are pretty quiet, although my Superb is starting the get the "old Diesel rattle", might have to get that looked at in he next service...

Buyers guide for Passat R-Line wagon-28022020-rear-boot-png
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post

Would be interested to see what part numbers that just replaced yours with?

Drive Unit - Part No. 3G9827851C should be the latest revision.
    Yes same part no.
    Funny thing was they said "your car is ONE day out of warranty......but as a good will gesture we'll replace them", but I did report the issue the previous week when I booked it in for a service.