Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot lid stopped working - MY21 Passat Alltrack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

You end up having to force the boot lid, unfortunately. It’s not moving under power.

We’ve dropped the car at VW, so we see what they come back with.
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

We got the car back for two weeks, and then it’ll be back to the workshop for what could be a three/four day stint.

No error codes or issues detected with the diagnostics, but the new struts modules are dead too. They lasted almost a month.

They’re thinking there’s an issue elsewhere which is causing the failure of the modules. Apparently this means starting at the back of the vehicle, pulling the wiring harnesses and electronics out, following its routes towards the front of the vehicle, inspecting everything as they go about it in the hopes of finding the issue.
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag
    Probably unlikely but the micro switches in the locks have a reputation of failing and while they sound like they have unlocked they havent. Had similar in our Polo. Sounded like it worked but didnt and the light in the boot didnt work.

A $23 lock from AliExpress fixed it. Does sound like yours also has other problems though, but if lock was jamming may have burnt out the modules.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

The boot unlatches and pops open when you press the open button and locks when you press it down, so I think the micro switches may be okay?
    BNE Qld

The Alltrack has been with VW since Monday morning, so three days now. No idea yet on the cause of the issues, nor is it fixed yet, but the car is apparently very different from the previous models. There’s no error codes to go by.

I was told the wiring looms changed such from the previous model that the service folks, being familiar with the previous model, removed some of the panels expecting to find wiring and control components, and there’s nothing!

So now they’re awaiting assistance from Germany…
    BNE Qld

Busted control module for the boot lid, so we have new parts coming from Germany. Four to six weeks wait.

At that stage they’ll also attempt to address the other issues on the car, some of which has been there since delivery.
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PDRx View Post
    Busted control module for the boot lid, so we have new parts coming from Germany. Four to six weeks wait.

At that stage they’ll also attempt to address the other issues on the car, some of which has been there since delivery.
    Never a good thing to wait on Parts, lets hope they get here soon.
    What other issues are you having?
    Have you been given a loan car whilst work is being completed, or is the car still drive able in its current condition?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Never a good thing to wait on Parts, lets hope they get here soon.
    What other issues are you having?
    Have you been given a loan car whilst work is being completed, or is the car still drive able in its current condition?
    Yeah, second time we’ve had to wait for parts on this car, but thankfully the turnaround was pretty quick last time. Indooroopilly VW seems pretty alright. When the gearbox on my Golf R was replaced due to an incident, they managed everything within four weeks from when the insurance said “go” until when I got the car back, and it was a similar story with the previous boot lid parts on the Alltrack.

The Alltrack is fully drivable with only the boot lid automated operation being non-operational. You basically have to force the boot lid open and closed. Only the latch still works to release and lock the lid. This is a good thing because our weekend activities require us to have a vehicle with a fair amount of packing space.

A loan Golf or Polo, which is the primary loan cars they have, wouldn’t cut the mustard. I’ve been looking for potential replacements for the Alltrack, and not a lot of wagons outside VAG compares in boot dimensions which is in the same price range.

The car was delivered with a high pitched rattle somewhere in the driver’s side B-pillar or the door. It’s at its worst when freewheeling downhill as it seems to resonate with the gearbox sound at lower RPM. I expect it to be a loose piece of trim inside the door or pillar. I initially blamed the safety belt height adjustment, but I’m not sure anymore. I had something similar in the Golf R which just needs to be clipped back into place. When the Alltrack was in for its first 1000km service Cricks was too busy to look at it.

The entertainment unit gets slow and laggy, eventually locking up with the screen corrupted, when using CarPlay over longer periods of time (roughly an hour). It looks like some sort of buffer allocation issue or memory corruption over time. This doesn’t seem to affect the AID, which is good. Cricks seemed a bit flummoxed by this and the last advice we had from Indooroopilly was to delete and repair the mobile devices when this happens. It seems there’s some general concerns about the software on these newer units, but as I’ve not seen similar issues with other Passats on the web, I suspect it is an issue with this specific unit.
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PDRx View Post
    Yeah, second time we’ve had to wait for parts on this car, but thankfully the turnaround was pretty quick last time. Indooroopilly VW seems pretty alright. When the gearbox on my Golf R was replaced due to an incident, they managed everything within four weeks from when the insurance said “go” until when I got the car back, and it was a similar story with the previous boot lid parts on the Alltrack.

The Alltrack is fully drivable with only the boot lid automated operation being non-operational. You basically have to force the boot lid open and closed. Only the latch still works to release and lock the lid. This is a good thing because our weekend activities require us to have a vehicle with a fair amount of packing space.

A loan Golf or Polo, which is the primary loan cars they have, wouldn’t cut the mustard. I’ve been looking for potential replacements for the Alltrack, and not a lot of wagons outside VAG compares in boot dimensions which is in the same price range.

The car was delivered with a high pitched rattle somewhere in the driver’s side B-pillar or the door. It’s at its worst when freewheeling downhill as it seems to resonate with the gearbox sound at lower RPM. I expect it to be a loose piece of trim inside the door or pillar. I initially blamed the safety belt height adjustment, but I’m not sure anymore. I had something similar in the Golf R which just needs to be clipped back into place. When the Alltrack was in for its first 1000km service Cricks was too busy to look at it.

The entertainment unit gets slow and laggy, eventually locking up with the screen corrupted, when using CarPlay over longer periods of time (roughly an hour). It looks like some sort of buffer allocation issue or memory corruption over time. This doesn’t seem to affect the AID, which is good. Cricks seemed a bit flummoxed by this and the last advice we had from Indooroopilly was to delete and repair the mobile devices when this happens. It seems there’s some general concerns about the software on these newer units, but as I’ve not seen similar issues with other Passats on the web, I suspect it is an issue with this specific unit.
    Skoda Octavia Wagon would be worth a good look Might even have more space than a Passat. Other could be a Tiguan Allspace with rear seats removed or lowered. The 5 seater has 200mm less length in rear than a Passat wagon as I found out when I changed to one
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Skoda Octavia Wagon would be worth a good look Might even have more space than a Passat. Other could be a Tiguan Allspace with rear seats removed or lowered. The 5 seater has 200mm less length in rear than a Passat wagon as I found out when I changed to one
    We need three seats and the space for gear in the boot, so we looked at the Allspace, but liked the space arrangement in the Passat more. In either we’d end up with a seat down in the second row as one of the bags we cart around regularly is 128cm long, the other two is about 118cm. In the Passat it’s one row of flattened seats, not two like the Allspace. We were also more keen on the lower shape of the Passat. We’re not so keen on SUVs, despite loving the Tiguan we had.

We didn’t look hard enough at the Skoda, I guess, but it’s still part of VAG with the same new entertainment and AID.

We’re unlikely to commit to anything VAG again soon after the recent changes to the MIB and AID, which currently is a mess functionally. Examples are you have to enable the Climatronic system every time you start the vehicle if you want to have the benefits of the pollen filters as it is off by default, something as simple as resetting the trip meter is buried in two levels of menus or a special timed sequence and three menus on the steering wheel, there’s no retention of driver aid settings and no more driver specific profiles anymore. It’s also been quite buggy in the Alltrack, hence our reluctance to commit to something else VAG.
    Last edited by PDRx; 01-11-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Language fixed
    BNE Qld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12