Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery or alternator issue?

Users Country Flag

Battery or alternator issue?

My 2018 Alltrack Wolfsburg (First reg 28 Feb 201 has 50k on it and lately I've noticed that the start stop won't allow the engine to stop when at traffic lights etc. I thought this was because of driving less due to Covid19 but even doing over 90km in a day (over half hhighway running) 3 days straight it is still not allowing the engine to stop. The centre unit says "Power consumption is high" when all I have on is the HVAC on auto and the stereo. I was at the dealer for another issue and asked them to check, they said the battery is fine but "needed charging" which they put onto a fast charger for 15 min and then it allowed the stop start. I drove 70km highway home and then two days later drove to work and stop start was normal, however the following two days (with 100km each day driven) the start stop is refusing again. Surely either the battery or alternator isn't working well?
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    My 2018 Alltrack Wolfsburg (First reg 28 Feb 201 has 50k on it and lately I've noticed that the start stop won't allow the engine to stop when at traffic lights etc. I thought this was because of driving less due to Covid19 but even doing over 90km in a day (over half hhighway running) 3 days straight it is still not allowing the engine to stop. The centre unit says "Power consumption is high" when all I have on is the HVAC on auto and the stereo. I was at the dealer for another issue and asked them to check, they said the battery is fine but "needed charging" which they put onto a fast charger for 15 min and then it allowed the stop start. I drove 70km highway home and then two days later drove to work and stop start was normal, however the following two days (with 100km each day driven) the start stop is refusing again. Surely either the battery or alternator isn't working well?
    It happened 2 times to my Golf and Passat. That’s the indication of dead batteries. Have your battery checked mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I had the battery checked by the dealer, they said it is fine... (which I don't believe but hard to argue with)
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    The car is programmed so that if voltage is below a certain amount (i believe its set to 12.5v or thereabouts) then the start/stop system will not kick in. A healthy battery (when engine is running) should be putting out between 13.5-14.5v, and approx 12.6v or slightly higher when engine is not running.

My money is on a failing battery, although in saying that, your car is only 2-3yrs old and should have an AGM battery for the start/stop system - so perhaps the battery is faulty rather than simply dying due to age/use. Take it to a battery shop (eg Batteryworld) and they can check the battery properly.

Failing batteries also tend to cause weird electrical issues on modern cars, so if anything odd starts happening then this will be further evidence of a battery problem.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Recharge your battery, as most likely the voltage during engine cranking is down to bellow 7.6V just for milliseconds and this is the threshold set up from manufacturer for the SS system to stop working.

Users Country Flag
    Jon: Hi
    Here's a bunch of prerequisites that must be satisfied for SS to successfully stop the engine

• The vehicle is stationary (speed = 0km/h).
    • The engine speed is below 1200rpm.
    • The coolant temperature is between 25°C and 100°C.
    • The brake vacuum is more than 550mbar.
    • The energy required to restart the engine that was calculated before “engine off” can be supplied by the battery (starting voltage prediction).
    • The battery temperature is greater or equal to -1°C and less than 55°C.
    • The air-conditioning requirement of the occupants is not too high.
    • The difference between target and actual vent temperature is below 8°C.
    • The diesel particulate filter is not in regeneration mode (diesel engines only).

Please note that these are "AND" conditions - so ALL the thresholds above must be met before SS is operational! It's no wonder that SS doesn't always operate as expected - if you like SS (I don't)

Incidentally, if you are charging the battery - make sure that you don't connect the negative charger lead directly to the negative battery post; ALWAYS use the special "up-stand" facility near the battery (see below), or connect the negative charger lead to a bolt on the car body

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 18-06-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    The exact same thing happened with my 3 yr old Superb.
    The battery was "fine", but I noticed in the past few weeks that start-stop wouldn't actually kick in to turn off the engine while stopped.

Didn't think of it much.

When my car was in for its 45k km service last week, I asked them to check the battery as these VWAG start-stop batteries r notorious to start failing after 2.5 to 3 yrs.

Turns out the battery was on its way out, so they replaced with a new battery for free, being under warranty.

Win win.

Turns out the start-stop not behaving was an early sign of the battery starting to die.

My Passat 206 battery died after 2.5 years. It was replaced by VW roadside assistance free of charge (covered by warranty). I don't believe mine was fitted with an AGM battery ex factory. Prior to dying, the stop start feature stopped too but i didn't take too much notice until the car wouldn't start one day.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the helpful replies. I found that after three days consecutive driving to work and back (100km each) it finally stopped at the lights, but then after 3 or so times it refused again. Is a normal old battery charger OK?

Thanks,
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Hi All,
    Thanks for the helpful replies. I found that after three days consecutive driving to work and back (100km each) it finally stopped at the lights, but then after 3 or so times it refused again. Is a normal old battery charger OK?

Thanks,
    Karl
    If its a really old charger then no - you will need something like this which is a smart charger and is made for modern cars and start/stop batteries. This is the one i have that i have used for about 4-5 years now: CTEK MXS 5.0 (12V 5A) Battery Charger MXS5.0 | Sparesbox

Or this more powerful 7amp model: CTEK MXS 7.0 (12V 7A) Battery Charger MXS7.0 | Sparesbox

Get a 5amp model or higher. Any less than 5amp is pretty much useless.

I still think your battery is dying - it should not be causing issues if you are driving 90-100km each day.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-06-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast