Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alltrack 162TSI or 206TSI R-Line

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by penguino View Post
    What do you find underwhelming about the Passat Alltrack Premium? For me it's almost a logical upgrade/upsize from my Golf Alltrack
    The Good:
    Lots of space in the boot for kit, with very good strap down options. (This is what lured us in when the Tiguan got a bit long in the tooth.)

The Bad:
    Buggy MIB3 with overheating Apple phones and graphics corruption. The dealer is still looking into this.

B-Pillar rattles; I suspect it’s the height adjustment for the safety belt which resonates on certain road surfaces.

No personalisation option per driver means only seat memory settings are stored in combination with the ambient lights. No other settings are stored for the driving aids, air conditioning, AID or radio. This is our own fault for assuming VW would retain current functionality, and maybe add more, while in reality they removed features from the previous model.

Driver memory seat only returns to the stored distance front to back, for height and lumbar support you still need to use the button next to the seat. Still trying to convince the dealer this is not a feature.

Creaky as hell panoramic roof when driving on diagonal undulations in the road, which I do frequently when in the parking for the sports ground. No issues with the Tiguan we had, or the Golf R we have, over the same section, all with sunroofs.

The “virtual pedal” boot opening is very temperamental, unlike the Tiguan. I’ve just reverted to using the key or boot button rather than stand waving my foot around like an idiot behind the car.

You have to be next to the car to close the boot with the key remote, but you can open it from a distance. My pet peeve when sending my kid to fetch something.

Damn light steering feel in anything but Sport mode.

Verdict:
    The car has almost 1800km on the odometer, and I’m already looking at alternatives. We’ll be selling/trading this one as soon as the financial hit is reduced.
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

Thanks for the feedback. So many of these things you mention are things I would never consider to test or check out fully at a show room and would just assume it works just like you did.

Out of curiosity why did you get rid of the Tiguan?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by penguino View Post

Out of curiosity why did you get rid of the Tiguan?
    We could do with the extra boot space for all the sporting equipment we’re carting around every weekend, which is where everything started. We’re very happy with the space the Alltrack offers.

The Tiguan was well out of warranty, being one of the first delivered after the 2017 facelift when they still had a 2-year warranty, and we thought we’d treat ourselves to an “upgrade” with the Passat.

Being familiar with the Golf in terms of driving position and height, we also prefer the “non-SUV” driving position, hence also looking at the Passat over the new Tiguan or Allspace. We were so pleased with the previous Tiguan (and still is with the Golf) that we (stupidly) looked at very few alternatives outside Volkswagen, and we didn’t notice the missing and troubling bits in the test drive.

The Alltrack would have been a very nice package if the memory and personalisation features were like those in the previous generation cars, and the if the MIB3 was as solid as the MIB2/MIB2.5 in terms of reliability and performance.
    BNE Qld

I've been driving my new Alltrack for a month now and - once a couple of niggles were sorted initially (one error code and another I now believe was with my phone), I've not had an issue. I am the only driver so seat memory is no issue. The Apple CarPlay chews through my phone battery when connected wirelessly however my phone is 3-4 years old and needs charging every day anyway so I don't blame the car for that.
    No rattles, no noise from the sunroof. Has done a few pot-holed gravel roads and one washout with no issue.

As a comparison, I had a 2013 Allrack and loved that (diesel) so miss the fuel economy as I've not owned a petrol vehicle since 1995, but am enjoying the tech upgrade. I bought my 2013 after having a v6 Touareg and prior to that the v10 Touareg. Of them all I preferred the v10 though maybe because I came from a Patrol I drive my parent's Golf (diesel, around 2014 I think) and prefer both Passats to the ride and driving position of the Golf - maybe because I am so used to it and don't like my bum on the tarmac. I looked at the non-Alltrack wagon in the R spec and didn't like the visibility, and the Allspace R but the dog didn't fit!!

Not so much a comment on the Passat but more on MY2021 Volkswagens now.
    I just went from a 7.5 Golf R-Line with the MIB2 to a T-Roc with the newer MIB3 and to say it is disappointing is an understatement.

It appears that all the older features, such as personal configuration, have now disappeared because we are not connected like the European models. We miss out on over the air updates, traffic information and the ability to send navigation directions. The new map layout is "basic" and some of the driver aids don't allow you the ability to adjust.
    The only positive feature is wireless device connect.

MIB3 is a step backwards that is common across all vehicles that have adopted it. What ever you shortlist, make sure you are aware this.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Here is a review of the VW Passat Alltrack 162TSI Premium; Volkswagen Passat Alltrack Premium 2021 review | Chasing Cars - YouTube
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Not so much a comment on the Passat but more on MY2021 Volkswagens now.
    I just went from a 7.5 Golf R-Line with the MIB2 to a T-Roc with the newer MIB3 and to say it is disappointing is an understatement.

It appears that all the older features, such as personal configuration, have now disappeared because we are not connected like the European models. We miss out on over the air updates, traffic information and the ability to send navigation directions. The new map layout is "basic" and some of the driver aids don't allow you the ability to adjust.
    The only positive feature is wireless device connect.

MIB3 is a step backwards that is common across all vehicles that have adopted it. What ever you shortlist, make sure you are aware this.
    Very accurate, and we’ve experienced this too, costing us money in the process. I think the pre-MIB3 cars were much easier to live with as far as comfort features & technology is concerned.
    BNE Qld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12