Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alltrack 162TSI or 206TSI R-Line

Alltrack 162TSI or 206TSI R-Line

Currently driving a Golf Alltrack 132TSI with the 6spd. Looking to upgrade to a Passat and tossing up between the alltrack and the 206. This will be the family daily and used for ski and camping trips.

Pros for the alltrack is the 7spd dsg which I understand is the same as the one used in the Mk7.5 and Mk8R (or is it the one used in the Tiguans?) This is good as I do a lot of highway driving. Realistically the 162 is more than enough power.

Pro for the 206 is more power and better looks. I can deal with the lower ride height for the occasional unsealed roads. The big downside is that it uses the same old Dq250 dsg in my current golf alltrack which is not that efficient on the highway (revs between 2500 to 2900rpm).

Otherwise I believe both cars are pretty much the same, except the higher ride height in the alltrack.

Thoughts or comments?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Whilst at times it can be difficult it all comes down to what suits you and your families needs. You mentioned the 206 sits lower. The area you visit for camping/snow trips. Would the 206 foul on any area ? You also made an inference that the 206 has the non preferred DSG box.
    The all track through your own admission/comment has all the power you need plus the better DSG box too. Not that I'm telling you how to suck eggs, have you drawn up a list of pro/con for both vehicles and then looked at both vehicles from an objective view point.

With the 162 you could always add more power/tune to bring it up to a level you like. Think of it as a stealth vehicle lol

Best of luck in your decision making.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by penguino View Post
    Currently driving a Golf Alltrack 132TSI with the 6spd. Looking to upgrade to a Passat and tossing up between the alltrack and the 206. This will be the family daily and used for ski and camping trips.

Pros for the alltrack is the 7spd dsg which I understand is the same as the one used in the Mk7.5 and Mk8R (or is it the one used in the Tiguans?) This is good as I do a lot of highway driving. Realistically the 162 is more than enough power.

Pro for the 206 is more power and better looks. I can deal with the lower ride height for the occasional unsealed roads. The big downside is that it uses the same old Dq250 dsg in my current golf alltrack which is not that efficient on the highway (revs between 2500 to 2900rpm).

Otherwise I believe both cars are pretty much the same, except the higher ride height in the alltrack.

Thoughts or comments?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Possibly a bot more research and specific ideas from your end first and foremost...

The Passat 206TSI has only just been re-launched, so details are only becoming available (I am lead to believe it is wagon only).
    I am unsure of the DSG code, but the 140TSI Business and 162TSI Alltrack both use the 7spd DSG.
    The 162TSI Elegance and 206TSI both use 6spd DSG.
    Previous generation Tiguans / Superbs (140TDI) and Passat 132TSI and Alltrack were using the 7spd DSG also.

My 206TSI revs around 2200rpm at 100km/h on the highway, so I cant comment about your old Golf Alltrack.
    I would expect the 7spd to be sub 2000rpm at 100km/h...

I assume you are looking at the Alltrack Premium, as spec for spec it is closely matched to the 206TSI. The standard Alltrack is not...

I love the look of the Alltrack, hence why I have one!

But I also love the idea of a Passat 206TSI in Lapiz Blue Metallic!!!

Have you considered the ŠKODA Scout 200TSI (it has a 200kw GPF / 7spd DSG), might be another option for you.
    This has the power and the ground height advantage!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    I’d give the Skoda a very good look as an alternative. We’ve got the MY21 Passat Alltrack Premium, and it’s pretty underwhelming to live with.
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag
    As much as I enjoy my 206TSI, if you do a lot of highway kms as I do, I would not strongly recommend it. Penguino is correct in that the the 6 spd does run higher revs than ideal at highways speeds. So much so, I often get similar fuel consumption on a trip than I do around town!

Agree the Skoda Scout with the 200kw motor is a solid left field alternative.
    VW Passat MY19 206TSI Wagon

What about looking at a Skoda Supurb as another left field option.

Users Country Flag
    What about the freshly updated Tiguan 162TSI. Its a great looking car. It has the extra height off the ground you probably want/need for going camping without looking a bid odd like I feel the Alltrack's tend to look.

Otherwise my vote goes for the 206TSI Passat or Suberb. Both great looking cars, but they are quite low to the ground so may be an issue with camping/ski trips.

Im not a fan of the Alltrack personally, but obviously for you its worth considering.

Subaru Outback? Not sure if they still offer the fantastic 3.6L engine in these? The normal 2.5L is gutless.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Only the 2.5 available in the outback these days, plus you have to contend with the annoying cvt transmission aka elastic band.

Id go a Skoda Supurb, available as a sedan/hatchback or a wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevx View Post
    Only the 2.5 available in the outback these days, plus you have to contend with the annoying cvt transmission aka elastic band.

Id go a Skoda Supurb, available as a sedan/hatchback or a wagon.
    Yeah I thought the 3.6L engine was no longer on offer. My dad has a 2019 Outback and it has the 2.5L engine and its not enough for such a big heavy car. The transmission isn't too bad - its not for me, but its better than some of the other CVT's around (cough...Mitsubishi).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    But I also love the idea of a Passat 206TSI in Lapiz Blue Metallic!!!

Have you considered the ŠKODA Scout 200TSI (it has a 200kw GPF / 7spd DSG), might be another option for you.
    This has the power and the ground height advantage!!!
    The 206 in Lapiz Blue Metallic is very appealing to me and part of what makes me torn. Haven't considered the Skoda as I don't really like the styling.

Quote Originally Posted by PDRx View Post
    I’d give the Skoda a very good look as an alternative. We’ve got the MY21 Passat Alltrack Premium, and it’s pretty underwhelming to live with.
    What do you find underwhelming about the Passat Alltrack Premium? For me it's almost a logical upgrade/upsize from my Golf Alltrack

Quote Originally Posted by XM640 View Post
    As much as I enjoy my 206TSI, if you do a lot of highway kms as I do, I would not strongly recommend it. Penguino is correct in that the the 6 spd does run higher revs than ideal at highways speeds. So much so, I often get similar fuel consumption on a trip than I do around town!
    Yes, this is my issue with the Golf Alltrack right now, fuel consumption on highway is almost the same as around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    What about the freshly updated Tiguan 162TSI. Its a great looking car. It has the extra height off the ground you probably want/need for going camping without looking a bid odd like I feel the Alltrack's tend to look.

Otherwise my vote goes for the 206TSI Passat or Suberb. Both great looking cars, but they are quite low to the ground so may be an issue with camping/ski trips.

Im not a fan of the Alltrack personally, but obviously for you its worth considering.

Subaru Outback? Not sure if they still offer the fantastic 3.6L engine in these? The normal 2.5L is gutless.
    Really not a fan of SUVs so the Tiguan is not really on my radar. There are also practical reasons - the boot space in the Passat is also much bigger than the Tiguan which matters to me due to pram + large dog.

I considered the Outbacks when I bought the Golf Alltrack 4 years ago, but they were just so underwhelming. As you stated, the 2.5 is not enough power for such a heavy car.

I feel like I need to wait for the local dealer to get demonstrators of the Alltrack and 206 to compare. Brain is telling me Alltrack Premium. Heart is telling me 206 R-Line for the extra power, Lapiz Blue and Pretoria wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast