206TSI Mods

Hi all,

I have a stock standard 206 TSI and was wanting to make some beginner mods

Looking for recommendations & affordability

Happy to hear from anyone's experience

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Welcome!

It largely depends on what your focus (and budget) is.

I've undertaken some mild 'tickling' of my 206TSI wagon as follows:

• JB4 plug-in piggy-back ECU (can be had for circa $350-550 second-hand). A very nice improvement in performance and overall responsiveness. With the pre-programmed Map 2, other members have seen quarter mile times of 12.7 seconds and the 0-100km/h dash in the upper 4 second range which is a handy improvement. I'm running a custom map 6 at the moment.
    • Intake mods aka the Pikey R600 formula - remove snow grate, dremel the passenger side of the intake tract for more flow, OEM blanking plate on the driver's side opening, Aliexpress alloy turbo inlet elbow - about $80 all up.
    • Pedal box / throttle controller - much improved throttle response down low. Abut $150-200
    • Some coding tweaks through Carista of the virtual cockpit 'skin', defeating the auto start-stop, and a few other settings. OBDeleven is more detailed, and VCDS allows more yet again. I had an OBDII bluetooth dongle on-hand, so it was only $15 for a month of Carista access to undertake the coding tweaks.
    • Aftermarket alloy paddles for the steering wheel - direct fit, nicer and more tactile feel. About $25 from our friends at Aliexpress.
    • Cosmetically, I've debadged the rear of the car completely and have added some gloss black vinyl wrap to a few horizontal elements of the front grille and bumper opening to create a less chrome, more black appearance. It certainly makes the bumper opening look larger and a bit meaner. I also ditched the big plastic rego plate mount on the front bumper and plugged the holes with colour-coded plastic plugs from autoinstruct.
    • I haven't dabbled on the suspension front yet, but a rear swaybar is on the agenda some day.

Time will tell where I go into the future (most likely a proper ECU reflash and DSG tune) but for the moment, she's much nicer to drive than when completely standard.

Last edited by petemac110; 05-03-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Like it 206TSI Mods206TSI Mods206TSI Mods

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That is a very nice example you have here - appreciate the photos!
    I love the personality of the black wrapped grille!!

I guess what I had in mind was OEM+ (Enough to have fun but not get carried away...)

With your JB4 - is it plug & play or did you have to go into a shop to install it - I wonder if I could get one from AUS to NZ
    Also would it be the same to uninstall?

Was your paddle shifters stickered on or replacement of OEM shifters?
    Any photos of them?

Where did you get your throttle controller from?

Would you recommend a Carista OBDII?
    I was thinking maybe OBDeleven PRO for some quality of life improvements & also some aesthetics e.g. tail lights and cluster sweep

I guess my funds as a uni student is quite low at the moment... but always good to save up for mods
    ATM I have only a Thule roof rack & tow bar

Plans are definitely wheels & tyres once these wear down a little more haha

Would a open air intake void my warranty?
    Perhaps I will try to get it in writing if worse comes to worse

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by godspd1 View Post
    That is a very nice example you have here - appreciate the photos!
    I love the personality of the black wrapped grille!!

I guess what I had in mind was OEM+ (Enough to have fun but not get carried away...)

With your JB4 - is it plug & play or did you have to go into a shop to install it - I wonder if I could get one from AUS to NZ
    Also would it be the same to uninstall?
    The JB4 is plug and play - installation is the same as per a MK7 Golf. I did it myself. Running the OBD2 connection through the firewall via a grommet on the passenger side is the hardest bit. Plenty of DIY vids out there.

Based upon previous posts from forum members, the JB4 on Map 2 and above can yield proven quarter mile results in the 12.7 second range (down from mid 13's) which is pretty good indeed. It's definitely a useful OEM+ style upgrade from a performance perspective. Likewise, a "Stage 1" reflash from a reputable tuner will do the trick.

Was your paddle shifters stickered on or replacement of OEM shifters?
    Any photos of them?
    Full alloy replacements from Aliexpress for about $20 - there are lots of different types. Some apparently fit a bit loosely but mine are solid. I bought this design as they have a hollow centre and don't obscure the wiper and indicator stalks. 5 minutes to install.

Where did you get your throttle controller from?
    It's a HikeIT X5 - plug and play installation. Lots of different versions of throttle controller out there.

Would you recommend a Carista OBDII?
    I was thinking maybe OBDeleven PRO for some quality of life improvements & also some aesthetics e.g. tail lights and cluster sweep
    Carista is OK but OBDeleven offers more options.

I guess my funds as a uni student is quite low at the moment... but always good to save up for mods
    ATM I have only a Thule roof rack & tow bar

Plans are definitely wheels & tyres once these wear down a little more haha

Would a open air intake void my warranty?
    Perhaps I will try to get it in writing if worse comes to worse
    Potentially - VW could play hard-ball if you suffer any engine issues. Worth clarifying with them.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi petemac110

Again, appreciate the reply
    I have just ordered the paddle shifters that are an OEM replacement
    & the OEM backing plate for the drivers side

For your Pikey R600 intake mod - did you have to cut holes into the bottom? for reference pic included
    206TSI Mods-download-png
    Also any issues so far with the Aliexpress turbo elbow?
    I was looking into a Revo/ IE one

Thanks again and I'll take a look into the HikeIT's

Have you looked into any exhaust options?
    It looks like there next to nothing for Passat's
    And plentiful for Golf 7 R's

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by godspd1 View Post
    Hi petemac110

Again, appreciate the reply
    I have just ordered the paddle shifters that are an OEM replacement
    & the OEM backing plate for the drivers side

For your Pikey R600 intake mod - did you have to cut holes into the bottom? for reference pic included
    206TSI Mods-download-png
    Also any issues so far with the Aliexpress turbo elbow?
    I was looking into a Revo/ IE one

Thanks again and I'll take a look into the HikeIT's

Have you looked into any exhaust options?
    It looks like there next to nothing for Passat's
    And plentiful for Golf 7 R's
    re: the Pikey mod, there is no need to open up the top of the grille as per the Golf.

re: the turbo elbow, I ended up modifying it with a Dremel to achieve a smoother bellmouth transition into the turbo. It would probably have been OK without this, but I couldn't help myself.

I haven't investigated exhausts as yet.