Thread: 206tsi alternator fail

Users Country Flag

206tsi alternator fail

Has anyone else had there alternator go at 100k . Auto electrician said it’s very rare and cost so far for replacement is $2500 nzd to replace

Users Country Flag
    I’d say rare. I’m at 172,000 miles(275,000 km) on my 2017 Passat. Alternator still ok.

Users Country Flag
    I had an issue with the factory battery dying so I replaced with one from battery town. That also died, suspected alternator but just ended up getting one from VW New market with it being coded and worked fine. No issues except the steep price.
    Have you tried replacing battery?

Users Country Flag
    My 2017 Wolfsburg is in the dealer today and has had the same diagnosis. I started noticing something getting noisy under the bonnet.

Mine has 58,000Kms

Luckily as it was registered in January 2019 it has the 5 year warranty.
    2023 MY22 Arteon R-Line Shooting Brake
    2016 MY17 Golf 92TSI Comfortline Wagon
    Previous - 2019 MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanVXR8 View Post
    My 2017 Wolfsburg is in the dealer today and has had the same diagnosis. I started noticing something getting noisy under the bonnet.

Mine has 58,000Kms

Luckily as it was registered in January 2019 it has the 5 year warranty.
    Let us know the outcome!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Let us know the outcome!!!
    They replaced the alternator under warranty, diagnosed as having a failed clutch. The only thing I also asked them to look at under warranty was the chrome window trim on the rear side window above the fuel filler as it was discoloured. Not covered apparently, outside influences and they quoted $1,108 to fix!

Stef
    2023 MY22 Arteon R-Line Shooting Brake
    2016 MY17 Golf 92TSI Comfortline Wagon
    Previous - 2019 MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition

Users Country Flag
    Interesting... I have discolored (clouded) chrome window trim above the gas flap on my Arteon too... must be caused by fumes or something.

Users Country Flag
    The Chrome Window trim can be easily brought back to new with the following products; California Custom Aluminium Deoxidizer (Step 1) Aluminium Deoxidizer – California Custom Products and followed up with Autosol Anodised Aluminium Polish Anodised Aluminium Polish 75ml - Present on every window frame!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    The Chrome Window trim can be easily brought back to new with the following products; California Custom Aluminium Deoxidizer (Step 1) Aluminium Deoxidizer – California Custom Products and followed up with Autosol Anodised Aluminium Polish Anodised Aluminium Polish 75ml - Present on every window frame!

Thanks - these arrived today. Will see how it goes

206tsi alternator fail-20230707_112501-jpg

Update:

Couldn't get it to work. Did the deoxidizer then polish 3 times and it was still cloudy. Even broke out the Dremel polishing attachment to see if it'd help.

Every time I got a little shine (still not as good as original) it'd cloud back up at the first sign of moisture (even from breathing on it) and was worse than before.. I think the metal (aluminum?) just immediately oxidized.

I then went into experiment mode and tried a bunch of things with similar results... I even mixed some carnuba wax with the anodized aluminium polish to try keep it coated, but that was only slightly better.

206tsi alternator fail-20230708_120028-jpg

Before:
    206tsi alternator fail-20230708_130727-jpg

After (deoxidizer + polish x3):
    206tsi alternator fail-screenshot_20230708-130654_gallery-jpg
    Last edited by nermal; 08-07-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by godspd1 View Post
    I had an issue with the factory battery dying so I replaced with one from battery town. That also died, suspected alternator but just ended up getting one from VW New market with it being coded and worked fine. No issues except the steep price.
    Have you tried replacing battery?
    Ended up getting the alternator replaced for 1800. Including regassing the aircon as it had to be drained to remove . It was toast so must have been faulty to go so soon or just bad luck . Ive had this car for almost two years and I love it but it does seem very brittle for lack of a better term .