Thread: Vents not adjustable side to side.

Users Country Flag

Vents not adjustable side to side.

Something I just realised having had the car for a couple of days is that the drivers side air vent and two centre air vents can be adjusted up and down, but moving the sliding centre bit side to side does nothing.

I'm presuming that like most cars there is supposed to be a way to adjust the airflow side to side? Just a bit weird that all 3 are the same (I forgot to try the passenger side, but the rears appear to move). Of course I could be missing somehting obvious.

The user manual isn't clear, and the workshop manual just tells you how to remove them.

Car is a 2011 125TDi Highline.

Users Country Flag
    Yes they can Mine on a B7 Highline did as I didnt always like them blowing on my face
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Hillbilly, I'm the same, I like air in the cabin, just not blowing onto me.
    I'll pop one out and have a look at what's going on.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Just to close it out, and for anyone searching in future...

Turns out all 4 vent adjusters were broken in the same way (could be a design issue, but probably just people being a bit rough).

There are two tabs with hole on the back of the slider that a small fork shaped bit clips into, this fork the slides over the side-side vertical vents behind the horizontal ones.
    One of the tab bits had snapped on each vent, so the fork bit wasn't connected.
    Vents not adjustable side to side.-vent-1-jpg

I could have spent money on new ones, or even $20 from my local car recycler, but thought I'd have a go at fixing them instead.
    There's a small slot in the fork (not sure how well it shows up in the pics), so I drilled a 1mm hole thought the slider part in line with these, then used some jewellery wire to wrap around the fork, then through the holes, and across the top of the slider (behind the fork in the small slots) so the fork can pivot, but is held in place.
    Vents not adjustable side to side.-vent-2-jpgVents not adjustable side to side.-vent-3-jpgVents not adjustable side to side.-vent-4-jpg

You have to look pretty hard to see the wire when re-assembled.
    Vents not adjustable side to side.-vent-5-jpg

I'll see if it lasts, shouldn't be too bad as the wire isn't flexing (so won't break though repeated bending), but the fork part rotates in the wire coiled round it.