Thread: V6 Exhaust Cutout Location

V6 Exhaust Cutout Location

Hi All,

I recently had my centre resonator/muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe to get a little more exhaust sound.
    Whilst I am happy with the sound, i would definetely like the option of bringing out more of the V6 growl, but with the option to tone it down.

I have looked at installing some of the electrically controlled rear mufflers, but this is likely to be quite expensive.

The other option I have looked at is installation of an variable electronic exhaust cutout.

My understanding is some others on this forum have done the same.

I would be keen to hear your opinions on:
    - Where to install the cutout along the exhaust?
    - If installing it somewhere midway, how/where did you vent the exaust?
    - Any particular brands to recommend or avoid?
    - Where did you wire the controller/switch to?

Any other general recommendations?
    Possible other options?

Any advice (and if you have any videos!) would be appreciated.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

I would let the exhaust shop choose the most suitable spot to mount it based on space primarily but you also do not want to impact on ground clearance if possible.

Does your car have another resonator before the large rear muffler? If so, i would suggest mounting the cutout (space permitting) after the other resonator and before the large rear muffler otherwise I dare say you will find it far too loud and will rarely open the cutout.

Turns out ECS now offer some cutout kits but note theirs are vacuum operated which is basically how the factory OEM ones work: ECS - 020923ECS01 - Build-Your-Own Universal Vacuum-Actuated Exhaust Cutout Kit - Single Cutout
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler