Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading stereo from RDC510

Upgrading stereo from RDC510

Hi there,

Just bought a 2011 Passat V6 Highline wagon this week. Great car, but the stock stereo's a bit ordinary (couldn't find a model with the Dynaudio within my price range). I'd like to replace the head unit and add a slimline subwoofer. I've found a head unit & sub for around $700, and an installer that'll put everything in for around $250. Happy with that.

My main question:
    What other parts do I need, ie harnesses / adaptors etc? What's involved to get the steering wheel buttons working with the new system? I've got reverse cameras & distance detectors, the graphic parking display etc - would a new Pioneer head unit still show that?

(Reason I'm sourcing all parts myself is because of the extraordinary markup the installers want to charge - full install was quoted at $1600.)

Any recommendations on head units around the $500-600 mark that work well with Android would be welcome. I'm currently leaning towards Pioneer as they seem to have the features I want at a reasonable price point. The Blaupunkt RNS510 models look great but, like all proper SatNav systems, they're stupidly expensive. (I'm happy to just plug in my phone and use Google Maps.)

Thanks in advance!

~GG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gableguy View Post
    Hi there,

Just bought a 2011 Passat V6 Highline wagon this week. Great car, but the stock stereo's a bit ordinary (couldn't find a model with the Dynaudio within my price range). I'd like to replace the head unit and add a slimline subwoofer. I've found a head unit & sub for around $700, and an installer that'll put everything in for around $250. Happy with that.

My main question:
    What other parts do I need, ie harnesses / adaptors etc? What's involved to get the steering wheel buttons working with the new system? I've got reverse cameras & distance detectors, the graphic parking display etc - would a new Pioneer head unit still show that?

(Reason I'm sourcing all parts myself is because of the extraordinary markup the installers want to charge - full install was quoted at $1600.)

Any recommendations on head units around the $500-600 mark that work well with Android would be welcome. I'm currently leaning towards Pioneer as they seem to have the features I want at a reasonable price point. The Blaupunkt RNS510 models look great but, like all proper SatNav systems, they're stupidly expensive. (I'm happy to just plug in my phone and use Google Maps.)

Thanks in advance!

~GG
    You can buy a stock RNS510 for about the $700 nowadays but last map update is 3 years old and no more ever. Rest of it is Ok and as cars have crap acoustics will never sound like Albert Hall
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You can buy a stock RNS510 for about the $700 nowadays but last map update is 3 years old and no more ever. Rest of it is Ok and as cars have crap acoustics will never sound like Albert Hall
    Yeah, considered that option but the RNS510 is getting pretty old now as you say. Much better options available for less $ these days.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gableguy View Post
    Yeah, considered that option but the RNS510 is getting pretty old now as you say. Much better options available for less $ these days.
    If you can get them to integrate
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I replaced my stereo with an android one from Aliexpress which cost just over $300US. It shows the air conditioning and the reversing camera output etc and works with the steering wheel buttons. Only thing that you have to do is connect your phone to the stereo and not the car.

Hi Gableguy,

I sourced a few harnesses and dash kits on Crutchfield (who iirc unfortunately don't ship to Au, or the shipping was cost prohibitive) and found and ordered them on amazon.

I'm not sure if your Passat will have the battery drain issue if you install a 3rd party head unit like a Pioneer, but here is the harness that I got to prevent that.

Here's the recommended harness for steering wheel controls for my car. I ended up getting one from No Limit here in South Melbourne who finished off the install and also put in my reverse camera which just plugged and played with the Pioneer.

You may need a different harness to that though in order to enable integration with all the parking sensors, get the engine data etc to the graphical display. Perhaps something like this Vw Data & Display Retention Interface.

Have a look at Crutchfield's site, as well as youtube to see what others may have used in their installation. Good luck with it!
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Quote Originally Posted by shinjukuthief View Post
    Hi Gableguy,

I sourced a few harnesses and dash kits on Crutchfield (who iirc unfortunately don't ship to Au, or the shipping was cost prohibitive) and found and ordered them on amazon.

I'm not sure if your Passat will have the battery drain issue if you install a 3rd party head unit like a Pioneer, but here is the harness that I got to prevent that.

Here's the recommended harness for steering wheel controls for my car. I ended up getting one from No Limit here in South Melbourne who finished off the install and also put in my reverse camera which just plugged and played with the Pioneer.

You may need a different harness to that though in order to enable integration with all the parking sensors, get the engine data etc to the graphical display. Perhaps something like this Vw Data & Display Retention Interface.

Have a look at Crutchfield's site, as well as youtube to see what others may have used in their installation. Good luck with it!
    Thanks for that, appreciate it! Glad to hear someone else managed the upgrade themselves.

I had a shop around online and found this, which I'm hoping has everything in the one kit - if anyone knowledgeable can see anything missing from it, please let me know:
    Aerpro FP9888K Install kit to suit Volkswagen Skoda | Free Shipping | Automotive Superstore

Pretty much decided on a Pioneer AVH-Z5250BT for the head unit, and bought a little slimline powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. It won't be amazing, but it'll be a significant upgrade.

Throw up some pics once it's installed

I'm going to start looking into a CarPlay solution.. As mentioned the RNS is too out of date
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Users Country Flag
    I recommend you talk to kamold about retrofitting a Discovery Media unit.

Some pics of mine installed:

Ooh I like that.
    You've got steering wheel control for that unit too ya??
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast