Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading stereo from RDC510

Users Country Flag

Yes. Works a treat. Highly recommended.

Yeah, that Discovery Media unit looks the goods - nice work.

I've bought the head unit and sub, as well as a whole bunch of harnesses and adapters, but the installer says the OEM camera / parking assistance won't work anymore. There's a data retention CANBUS adapter in existence, but apparently it doesn't work particularly well.

Very bloody frustrating. I figured that for around $1k I could upgrade the head unit ($520), add a sub ($160) and get them installed ($330). I've added $200 to that for adapters / fascia kit / harnesses etc, apparently in order to lose parking sensor info. The next step is to get another after-market camera & sensor kit, which is probably another $300 plus an extra $100 for installation. Installers tell me that this is just kinda the way it is with Euro cars - the Japanese are all easily plug & play but the Euros just don't play nice.

Any comments on the whole parking camera / sensor thing?? Help me out here!!

Users Country Flag
    Parking sensors will still work in that they'll still beep.
    As for displaying OPS on the head unit, that's dependent on the head unit having a suitable canbus interface (same for steering wheel controls etc)
    OEM cameras for PQ35/36/46 cars use RGBS video input at the head unit. If it's a lowline module (ie doesn't have bending guidelines) then you can use an RGBS to CVBS converter to input to an aftermarket headunit.
    Otherwise just get a $70 camera kit and it replace what you have.
    Nothing is easy plug and play with any modern OEM system unless it has been specifically designed as such, you need to ensure you get the relevant information about what works with them and what doesn't and purchase accordingly.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by danger17 View Post
    I recommend you talk to kamold about retrofitting a Discovery Media unit.

Some pics of mine installed:

Love that track. RIP Keith

Users Country Flag

That looks awesome..

How much did that cost?? Was it easy to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by gableguy View Post
    I had a shop around online and found this, which I'm hoping has everything in the one kit - if anyone knowledgeable can see anything missing from it, please let me know:
    Aerpro FP9888K Install kit to suit Volkswagen Skoda | Free Shipping | Automotive Superstore
    Hey mate, out of interest, did you end up purchasing this Aerpro kit?
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Courteous View Post
    Hey mate, out of interest, did you end up purchasing this Aerpro kit?
    I got one recently, accidentally ordered too much in that I have a spare harness that I should probably sell if anyone is after one.

It comes with everything except the USB adapter from memory and maybe the wheel controls?

I found that overall it was a quality kit alike anything Aeropro. Fitment on the bracket wasn't 100% but it's very close to looking stock.

I ended up going with a Sony XAV-AX 5000 which was pricey but it's nice.

Users Country Flag

Hi Danger,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how was that unit to fit?
    What sort of maps does it use?
    Does it have DAB or Android Carplay?

I have an 08 B6 and I replaced the original RCD500 with an RCD510, but I am looking at an upgrade and to install a reverse camera.

I have been looking at an android unit with Google Maps, but I do prefer the look of a genuine unit.

Thanks!
    2008 Passat Wagon - 125 TDI - Black on Black - All stock, for now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12