Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway

Users Country Flag

Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway

Hi guys,

So I've procured replacement canbus gateway as mine (3C0907530C) is known to be susceptible to battery drain with RCD510 head unit which I also got.

But (there is always but) I'm having a hard time re-coding the new one 3C0 907 530Q. My old (current) gateway coding is BFFD9F04C21003 which I think uses 7 bytes code (can't remember but the new one might be 9 or 12 bytes?)

In any case when I connect the VCDS it gives me all errors nothing registered as expected. When I go and select "19 Gateway" and register all components which I have on the car in Long Coding Helper then exit and select "Do it" either nothing happens or I get an error message to choose Y, N or cancel. Y tries to code it but comes with error message, N option I think it says to code 1234/123/12345 or something like that and cancel goes nowhere.

Even tried to enter the old coding value under the "New Coding" field directly it still didn't work.

Have you guys have any suggestions other than to put a can of petrol (or ) to it or to buy a new car?

Cheers
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    does it need you to enter the security code first? just asking, I havent ever done a gateway

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    does it need you to enter the security code first? just asking, I havent ever done a gateway
    When I was trying to code the can gateway it certainly didn't ask me for any security code. However, in VCDS I know you need 5 digit code to option "16 - Security Access" but I'll be damned if I know what it is? When you select that Security Access option it tells you "many controllers allow only one attempt ... blah blah"
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    When I was trying to code the can gateway it certainly didn't ask me for any security code. However, in VCDS I know you need 5 digit code to option "16 - Security Access" but I'll be damned if I know what it is? When you select that Security Access option it tells you "many controllers allow only one attempt ... blah blah"
    @kamold might be able to answer in more detail but FWIK, you don't need a security code unless you are changing the key.
    It would be good if you can post the vcds outputs.
    You might need to do one segment at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    @kamold might be able to answer in more detail but FWIK, you don't need a security code unless you are changing the key.
    It would be good if you can post the vcds outputs.
    You might need to do one segment at a time.
    I've read somewhere that some control modules could be "locked" (by Ozzie VW) so to prevent any "third party" coding accidents but that may only be a hearsay. I'll have another go tomorrow at coding the can gateway, failing all I'll post some screen shots next couple days.

But I'm also being frustrated by the RCD510 fakra socket spacing (non existent) I just can't fit the old fakra antennae connectors to the new head unit - any ideas?

Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway-fakra-anetnnae-rcd510-jpg

So, I think I got the new, upgraded can gateway installed. With new gateway in situ I chose 19 Gateway and the Installation List. I've had the Installation List saved from the old gateway so I knew which modules had to be installed. Eventually, I managed to have the coding accepted. However, now I'm getting some unexpected extra errors.

Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway-19-can-gateway-jpg
    This one is complaining about Central Convenience and Digital Sound package?

Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway-climatronics-01299-jpg

This one about Climatronics.

I went to 56 Radio module but when I selected Coding then Long Coding Helper it came back with error message "Sorry, no coding information is available fro this ECU". This despite the fact with old gateway the information was there. I also can't find which module has the Right Hand Drive coding. Any experts there is VCDS coding?

Users Country Flag
    Clear faults.
    If the fault isn't listed as 'static' then it may be from something being unplugged etc (intermittent).
    If the faults return after clearing and cycling ignition then look at them.
    The no coding information error means that it can't match the module against the database (ASAM) to identify what it is and what the configuration parameters are.
    Shouldn't happen with genuine VCDS. Happens all the time with poor clones.
    Reboot laptop and try again.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Clear faults.
    If the fault isn't listed as 'static' then it may be from something being unplugged etc (intermittent).
    If the faults return after clearing and cycling ignition then look at them.
    The no coding information error means that it can't match the module against the database (ASAM) to identify what it is and what the configuration parameters are.
    Shouldn't happen with genuine VCDS. Happens all the time with poor clones.
    Reboot laptop and try again.

Thanks Kamold,

Well I didn't unplug Climatronics or anything else (apart from the old gateway & radio h/unit) and when the "old gateway" was in the Climatronics wasn't showing as "fault". Same with the Central Convenience. It's also puzzling that with "old gateway" the Long Coding Helper was working Ok.

Additional to Long Coding Helper issue I'm also intermittently getting error message "can not reach gateway" or something similar but I'd like to blame the old laptop which is running Win XP

As far as the faults go - I've cleared the DTC's several times but I have not tried rebooting the laptop or cycling the ignition yet. Truth being I'm really thankful that, at least, I was able to code/initialize the new can gateway.

So after installing the RCD510 yesterday I've checked the battery voltage and it only dropped by a minuscule amount to 12.40V BUT I've not done the battery drain check because I'm bit concerned that I might have to reset the idle speed or whatever else if I disconnect the battery to do that.

I might have to try using another laptop for coding to see if the same issues persist.

Users Country Flag
    If you want me to have a look remotely over Teamviewer send me a message.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    If you want me to have a look remotely over Teamviewer send me a message.
    Sounds good Kamold - thanks. In that case I'd definitely need to use another (slightly faster ) laptop. I have never used the TeamViewer but I guess it's a matter of d/l, installing & then granting access. Let me get the bits ready first.

In the meantime, do you think there is any need for me to get the can gateway re-flashed with latest firmware update by VW dealer? There doesn't seem to any drastic battery drain, certainly not overnight as I've read on some forums.
    Last edited by Old Navman; 07-12-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast