Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading and re-cording CANBUS gateway

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Definitely getting a genuine VCDS is very important. I was lucky enough to get an old Hex cable on the relatively cheap side.

I have a Noname 330 from a Chinese phaeton. Works well for me although I had opened up the harness to get access to the canbus and added an extra cable covered with shrink wrap.

Is the canbus gateway genuine??
    Yes, made in the Czech Republic. I don't know if Chinese are into copying canbus gateways (yet) but I suppose anything is possible.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Yes, made in the Czech Republic. I don't know if Chinese are into copying canbus gateways (yet) but I suppose anything is possible.
    Of course they are.
    Very simple device.
    So you need to be careful which part you buy when it comes to hw version, eeprom size, ext can and Lin bus interfaces.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Of course they are.
    Very simple device.
    So you need to be careful which part you buy when it comes to hw version, eeprom size, ext can and Lin bus interfaces.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    How do you spot a fake when on the fleabay all canbus looks the same? At least on the outside.
    Last edited by Old Navman; 04-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

reputable seller or just visit one of the garages that allow you to pick parts yourself (both understandably difficult due to covid)

reputable seller
    Do you have one in mind? Mind sharing the info?

Users Country Flag
    You're not going to find China copies of 3C0 gateways.
    There are 7N0 gateways that you need to be careful of because they are sometimes labeled as having 8k eeproms for fatigue assist but they only have 4k. You can modify them though by replacing the eeprom and then flashing with the correct software.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

I got mine from a guy who was selling the Rcd330 Noname.
    I needed it due to battery drain issue.
    I think I got the wrong model for my Passat so decided on balance just to ensure I switch it off and make sure nothing is connected to it. I just top up the battery once a week.
    Its a long hauler any way so battery kinda gets pumped up fairly well once it gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    You're not going to find China copies of 3C0 gateways.
    There are 7N0 gateways that you need to be careful of because they are sometimes labeled as having 8k eeproms for fatigue assist but they only have 4k. You can modify them though by replacing the eeprom and then flashing with the correct software.
    I'm relieved to hear that (mine is the 3C0). The gateway, despite some initial setting problems, seem to be behaving Ok.

I got mine from a guy who was selling the Rcd330 Noname.
    I needed it due to battery drain issue.
    I think I got the wrong model for my Passat so decided on balance just to ensure I switch it off and make sure nothing is connected to it. I just top up the battery once a week.
    Its a long hauler any way so battery kinda gets pumped up fairly well once it gets going.

Getting the updated gateway installed and "in order" seem to have fixed any possible battery drain problems thus far. The radio is working well ... but a bit of a disappointment. Mind you after almost 3 years laying in box I could probably afford to buy the RNS530 now for the price I've paid (3 yrs ago) for the RCD510.

But even with 510 I don't have a camera installed so this capability (for now) is being wasted. The rear (pop up) cameras are still fetching around A$200 plus I'd probably be looking at getting the wireless sender so I don't have to run wires all the way to the front of the car. I think some kind of video converter is also needed for this to work wirelessly so it all adds up.

Lol, I didn't even know a wireless option existed, if I would want anything it would be wireless android
    Running a cable to the back is not too difficult. Just remember to remove all the tabs that state airbag first as some of them have a torx screw behind them.

Dynamic parking line handle camera VW PQ or MQB Passat Jetta Tiguan RCD330 plus | eBay

This is the camera I got, got the RCD330 from the same guy with the K0 series canbus as a package to save on shipping. Has yellow lines that move with steering. Seems good enough for day to day, as some one said I not going to be shooting the next blockbuster on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast