Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips when searching for used by Passat v6

Tips when searching for used by Passat v6

Hi,

I am interesting in purchasing a used Passat v6 fsi highline sedan.

I am hoping some of the regulars here might be able to suggest any common issues I should keep an eye out for?
    Are there any expensive maintenance items I need to be aware of (e.g 100k service).

What's the reliability of these like?
    Are there any common annoyances?

I've read a bunch of reviews but I prefer to get feedback from actual owners.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I have had my V6 Passat for 3 years now, just clicked over 107,000Km still love driving it.
    These cars are pretty rare to get with all the options, took me over 2 years to find one with the drivers assistance package (for the HIDs) and the rest of the bells and whistles; Although I am very picky about my cars.

Things to look out for,
    60,000k service, make sure the Haldex and DSG service was done.
    Pre 2011, check for timing chain noise on cold startup.
    Brakes via the dealer cost a lot, 3rd party is much better (DBA rotors).
    Check the car via VCDS or a ODB scanner if you can for any stored codes.
    mid 2011 - early 2012 cars don't have rear view cameras, due to Sony running out of stock after the Tsunami in Japan.
    A bit of gearbox whine in 4th is normal on the AWD Passats including the R36

If you have any other questions let me know.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Thanks!
    That's some excellent advice.
    I can see what you mean about finding a good optioned version, it's quite challenging
    Hopefully I get to join this forum as a new owner soon.

Has anyone got feedback on the dsg gearboxes? Internet research seems to suggest they have issues but it's hard to find detailed information other than generic info.

Users Country Flag
    2010 onwards dsg dq250 are pretty bulletproof.
    Earlier had potential issues with mechatronics which went through numerous revisions before they ironed out the design issues.
    From then on they are very robust. If they have been serviced according to schedule they might need new clutches around 250k.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    2010 onwards dsg dq250 are pretty bulletproof.
    Earlier had potential issues with mechatronics which went through numerous revisions before they ironed out the design issues.
    From then on they are very robust. If they have been serviced according to schedule they might need new clutches around 250k.
    Thanks!
    I'm assuming the clutch replacement exercise would be quite expensive?
    Any rough idea on cost?

Last edited by disco__dave; 30-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Clutch kit is around $800 but it's a gearbox out procedure to replace them so I'm not sure how much that would cost to do.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Clutch kit is around $800 but it's a gearbox out procedure to replace them so I'm not sure how much that would cost to do.
    Mmm that's cheaper than I expected (even excluding labour). Thanks Tips when searching for used by Passat v6

So, there seems to be quite a bit of information on the web about some of the pre 2011 dsg transmissions having lots of issues.

Does anyone have any specific information on which dsg transmissions are problematic?
    Is it basically any of the pre 2011 (ie pre facelift) models?

The reason I ask is there are some nice 2010 and 2011 models for sale, but I'm wary of purchasing something high risk.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

It's not a hard cut off.
    But basically anything from 2010 on has been through a number of revisions of the mechatronics and are generally very reliable when it comes to dq250.
    Dq200 are not the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast