Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt - kms vs years

Timing belt - kms vs years

Hi all

I am looking at a very low km Passat Alltrack (55,000) that is a 2013 model
    Based on the VW swrvice interval guide it is due a timing belt change next year, 2020.
    What are peoples thoughts on this as it will be literally at half the kms?
    Is it a case of just do it and move on or should I be looking to check for wear etc?

Users Country Flag
    Have an even lower K one had timing belt and water pump done at 38818 km BUT was at the 7 year point which is what VW say is the time to do it.
    Cost Just over $1100 for that part of the job plus the 105,000k service = $1523

Dont do the belt and NOT DO THE PUMP as will cost an extra $400+ labour again as they have to undo all the work when the belt was done

Cost to do pump when doing belt was $348 parts and $70 labour. Belt and tensioner is $343 and $350 labour.

Yes you should do it next year on the stipulated time schedule
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 12-03-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Have a good look at the belt. Are the teeth loose? Is there oil on the belt? Does it look like new?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Have a good look at the belt. Are the teeth loose? Is there oil on the belt? Does it look like new?
    VW recommend 105,000km OR 7 YEARS Just like your shoes things deteriorate over time. It isnt only distance that kills them.

Tyres are the same Our cars are nearly 8 years old now and one has only done 22000k but is overdue for new shoes as rubber deteriorates and ozone kills tyres as well Wifes one will get 2 new ones in 6 months and the other two 6 months after that

Replacing the belt and pump is a bloody sight cheaper than the engine if the worst happens

I have copied the EXACT cost from my invoice.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Yeah, all good tips, I can only add to it, flip it up and check the teeth from the gears side.
    Just kidding of course, you can’t really reliably check the condition of the timing belt and tensioner without removing them. The belt contains rubber compounds as well and therefore will perish with the time, 7 years is a good time to change it.
    Last edited by Transporter; 12-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Yeah, all good tips, I can only add to it, flip it up and check the teeth from the gears side.
    Just kidding of course, you can’t really reliably check the condition of the timing belt and tensioner without removing them. The belt contains rubber compounds as well and therefore will perish with the time, 7 years is a good time to change it.
    But there is always someone that knows better than the manufacturer isnt there.

I didnt really want to do mine but the thought of the consequences of not doing it in the hot queensland climate was too much to think about. From whats been said on here a water pump is at the end of its life after that time as well

Hi,
    I am in the UK. VW UK recommend a 5 year interval for the timing belt rather than the discussed 7 years in this thread. Does anyone know why it differs in Australia?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
    Hi,
    I am in the UK. VW UK recommend a 5 year interval for the timing belt rather than the discussed 7 years in this thread. Does anyone know why it differs in Australia?
    What do they recommend for mileage in the UK and No we just follow the book and cars do big K's here because of the large distances between places.

Users Country Flag
    could be due to the seasonal variation/temperature extremes.

The mileage depends a little on who and where you ask - 60000 to 130000 Miles.
    In Germany 210000 Km and no time limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast