Thread: Tapping noise on start up

Lightbulb Tapping noise on start up

I have a 2010 Passat tdi 160000 on it serviced regularly by a independent mechanic that I trust, the car has now started a tapping noise especially heard during warm up of the car and I can hear it when it’s on Idle and accelerating no lights on the dash, oil is standard temperature 85-105 but now takes 15-20mins to reach that 85 thinking because it’s cold again and the car is not over heating. I have attached a video that sounds exactly like it on a similar car not mine but I’m hoping it’s not what he has done to it.
    Tapping noise from engine. - YouTube
    From research it’s the lifters and rockers but I was also thinking it could be oil pump due to lack of pressure and slow temperature rise.

Any thoughts or how to will be appreciated

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Could well be one of your injectors too. Have you asked your mechanic to have a look/listed and give his opinion?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Lightbulb Tapping noise

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Could well be one of your injectors too. Have you asked your mechanic to have a look/listed and give his opinion?
    I haven’t yet taken it to them I’m a bit time poor atm and tight on cash, I’ve used the screw driver test before on my Subaru FXT 04 HP petrol injectors but I’m not sure it works on diesels as it’s bit of a rough technique and I couldn’t hear a lot but I heard a distinct noise inside on one side where that noise is coming from as the clip shows it over the turbo but I could be wrong and my bank account hopes so as well haha

Thanks for that heads up as I thought about before due to the high pressure fuel pump makes that annoying ticking noise they had a look at that a while back told me it was normal due the psi.

Any other ideas or thoughts?