Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takata recall???

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Umm why don't you just book your car in via email and get the airbag changed, just document that you have let them know the new steering wheel part number . If VW cannot do it/don't need to do it they will let you know. I am sure they are not going to take your old steering wheel out and put a new one in of the standard model.
    I thought about doing exactly what you've suggested but don't want to be in an unnecessary conversation or situation if/when the VW technician flags the steering wheel had been swapped.

Also, I have been told by the dealer that the actual airbag doesn't get swapped and that it is a component within the airbag housing.

The B7/MY11 Passat and the MY12 Scirocco have a similar steering wheel, would I be correct to assume VW would just replace the faulty Takata part?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    MY11 B7 Passat 125TDi Highline
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Oh really?

I mean if the bag is swapped and cleared it should clear the VIN for that recall..

I think it comes down to the onus of the owner for documenting the previous VIN and the Current VIN or at least to be aware of what type of car it came off so they can take it in to get checked.

This is why I kind of chuckle at the people who swap their stock wheels without keeping the original incase a recall does happen..
    If the replacement wheel does not use the airbag or firing component originally fitted to that VIN then give what you suggest a go and see whay happens. The governement audit will accept nothing short of the original air bag going into that car as far as I know but I know nothing of what VW are doing. I have seen some cars that the manufacturer had to spend thousands on because previous repairs were done badly and the car cannot be returned to the owner until it is roadworthy and as manufactured in all the safety systems. Some cars were worth less than the repairs cost BTW.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    If the replacement wheel does not use the airbag or firing component originally fitted to that VIN then give what you suggest a go and see whay happens. The governement audit will accept nothing short of the original air bag going into that car as far as I know but I know nothing of what VW are doing. I have seen some cars that the manufacturer had to spend thousands on because previous repairs were done badly and the car cannot be returned to the owner until it is roadworthy and as manufactured in all the safety systems. Some cars were worth less than the repairs cost BTW.
    Of course, of course. I mean the business accepting the cost of repairs (within a reasonable amount) is on them still, if the device has been tampered with to the extent that it can't be made fit that's fair to put it back on the owner. It doesn't really matter what the car is worth, it's still a car that they sold and that they are responsible for.

However the cost of what it is, just shouldn't come into it. It's a safety system in a car that they originally fitted, other companies don't just give up and scrap their entire product.

Granted a car isn't the same by any means, but it still puts it into perspective. Audi Australia have really messed it up with the early Audi TT, B5 A4/S4, C5 A6, D2 A8 recall and my R36 will be my last VAG car.. I literally have 0 respect for Audi (Australia) and somewhat by extension VW (however my local VW is much much more supportive).

Sorry about the rant, had an average day and I'm sick to death of the airbag bullcrap.

So worse case scenario, go to wreckers and get "the original steering wheel with airbag" get the recall done, gumtree it and Bob's ur uncle or aunt what ever suits

Which steering wheel do you have at the moment please mention part number and what part number did you have before??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12