Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takata recall???

Users Country Flag

Takata recall???

Just saw an ad regarding the Takata recall.

Apparently NSW Gov will cancel the registration of cars which have not taken part in the recall.

Two Takata accidents before death: inquest

My question is, if I have swapped my original steering wheel with a MFSW from a Scirocco R (it was plug and play), what can I do if/when it gets to the point of registration blocking?

I can't check against my VIN or Rego as my current steering wheel was brand new and never fitted to a vehicle and the VIN checker result would be based on the original steering wheel..

Thanks in advance!
    MY11 B7 Passat 125TDi Highline
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps you should talk to a dealer to find out which airbag the Sirrocos had in them.

My B7 had the airbag replaced
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The Sirocco isn't being recalled.
    Takata airbag recalls list | Product Safety Australia

You will have to call the VW Customer Care line and tell them what you have done as they have provided VIN lists (sourced from the States & Territories Rego Authorities) to the ACCC who are responsible for the recall. Hopefully they can remove your vehicle from the affected list and hope insurance companies don't find out!

Users Country Flag
    Sigh.. my Audi is effected by this too (and Audi are attempting to buy back and crush the damn car)

Luckily my MY2010 R36 is not on this list, just checked the VIN. Might give VW a call tomorrow to be 100% as it otherwise lines up..

Alternate link below

Takata airbag recall | Volkswagen Group Australia
    Last edited by Matt86; 23-06-2020 at 11:09 PM.

I raised this exact question when VW started the recall and no one here seemed to think it would be a problem. My experience with another manufacturer suggested it would be so I wonder what the result will be as there is a hard audit trail on all of this that must reflect that the car has had the airbag replaced, what type etc. As pointed out I think if a car is not found and fixed it will then be de-registered at the next annual inspection. I would say that if a standard wheel was put on the car for the recall and then changed to another wheel and there is an accident derived injury or death I would not like to be the person who changed the wheel as the chances of court action would be very high.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Would there be an option to simply check the actual airbag serial number against a database?

Users Country Flag
    Not really. As the ACCC will be looking for VIN#'s. Until VW can confirm to the ACCC that your airbag is not affected it will remain outstanding. Call VW Customer Service, but I know from experience they are pretty useless. Our old Passat we traded in. I contacted VW to let them know I no longer had the vehicle and told them the date I sold it, who I sold it to. Filled in their online forms EVERYTHING. They still wanted the proof of sale documents. I then had to go into the dealer, explain the situation. The Principal said, leave it with me and I didn't hear from VW again with anymore letters.

VW have an accountability for all remaining vehicles that MAY have the Takata airbags. They need to ensure every VIN on the list have been checked so when they go back to the ACCC with final figures they are correct. The ACCC have until December 2020 to get this wrapped up.

There has to be an audit trail that can be verified to every VIN that needs rectification. By now there must have been owners who swapped steering wheels and the car has been recalled, I wonder what happened in those cases. Just because a wheel has been swapped there is no way the problem will disappear. I know of a manufacturer that has been hunting a single car for at least two years and even offered money to locate it with no success up until now.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    There has to be an audit trail that can be verified to every VIN that needs rectification. By now there must have been owners who swapped steering wheels and the car has been recalled, I wonder what happened in those cases. Just because a wheel has been swapped there is no way the problem will disappear. I know of a manufacturer that has been hunting a single car for at least two years and even offered money to locate it with no success up until now.
    Oh really?

I mean if the bag is swapped and cleared it should clear the VIN for that recall..

I think it comes down to the onus of the owner for documenting the previous VIN and the Current VIN or at least to be aware of what type of car it came off so they can take it in to get checked.

This is why I kind of chuckle at the people who swap their stock wheels without keeping the original incase a recall does happen..

Umm why don't you just book your car in via email and get the airbag changed, just document that you have let them know the new steering wheel part number . If VW cannot do it/don't need to do it they will let you know. I am sure they are not going to take your old steering wheel out and put a new one in of the standard model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast