Thread: Steering column lock

Steering column lock

Seem to have the dreaded steering column lock problem showing up on my B6 Passat R36.

Cannot seem to find any videos or instructions of steps to remove the steering column. Does anyone have a reference? Never played with airbag car before and slightly scared.

Looks like the cause is a microswitch that needs cleaning or replacement, but electronic unit needs removal to fix.

These are the best links I found:

YouTube

REPAIR KIT VW Passat B6 CC steering lock control module Relays unit | eBay

B6 STEERING FAULT - PASSAT

Removing and installing steering column. Volkswagen Passat B6 (from the year 2004)

YouTube

Any further guidance would be great. Has anyone done this themselves?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Haven't done it but have seen similar links. If you need anything further I can try and assist you over PM
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Hey Hem, just wondering how you went with this? Yesterday I got the dreaded ignition clicking, 3 beeps, steering wheel warning light and tonight it showed the "Steering column lock defective" message on the MFDS. Can't even do a scan to confirm the error. I can get a free tow to my mechanics/auto-electrician, at least.

Does anyone know anywhere local that might have the Repair Kit? Or is it better/simpler to go for a complete new/used electronic steering lock?

Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Users Country Flag
    It's not an easy job to complete with a used steering column lock (but not impossible with the right tools).
    The existing lock can possibly be repaired (replace a microswitch) there are videos online
    Otherwise a new part and vcds or dealer tools can fix it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    It's not an easy job to complete with a used steering column lock (but not impossible with the right tools).
    The existing lock can possibly be repaired (replace a microswitch) there are videos online
    Otherwise a new part and vcds or dealer tools can fix it
    Many thanks for the response, Kamold, truly appreciated.

I did find some vids on the microswitch repair - whilst it doesn't look -too- difficult, I wouldn't trust my (barely pass grade) Yr9 metalwork skills with a soldering iron! Had a bit on this week, so hope to get the car down to the mechanic on Tuesday and have a chat to him about which way to go. Just hoping I don't need to get the keys re-coded...?
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Users Country Flag
    No the keys don't need changing but the steering column lock programming has to match the CCM, ecu, keys. So it's similar and needs similar tools.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    No the keys don't need changing but the steering column lock programming has to match the CCM, ecu, keys. So it's similar and needs similar tools.
    Thanks again, Kamold. It seems (going by one video I saw, at least) the route of soldering on a new microswitch might be preferable for the simple fact that you can leave out the spring which triggers the issue -whereas it could happen again in a new ESCL.