Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?) :(

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dubster99 View Post
    Any tips or a DIY for the upper tensioner?
    If you're on Facebook there's a heap of info on this there in the R36 owners group.

Everyone (including myself) soaked the new tensioner in oil before installing.

Take your time with it and move the coolant hoses/other hoses out of the way as needed, get a very thin socket for it (cannot remember the size) and ensure that you put it back in as tight as it came out (basically as tight as you can get it in).

I'd also use this as a good time to inspect the coolant flange on the back of the block that goes to the heater core, it's common for it to crack or the o-ring.

I'd probably suggest to replace the O-Ring for this at a minimum while you're there, it's a cheap part and easy to do. It's actually easier if you remove this first then the tensioner if I recall. Mine had a crack (with coolant all over the gearbox). I also used it as a time to replace my coolant expansion tank since it looked very old and upon removal had tiny cracks in the base of it/near the seals. I think it was a $20 part from memory. Obviously you'll want fresh coolant to top up with if you go down this path.

You'll want to drain some of it out before removing the flange too, I can't recall where I did mine from but it was a liter or less. I topped up with distilled water and then later fully emptied the system and re-filled (no service history on my car).

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Try McCaroll for parts I believe they are offering the parts at pretty much cost (not sure if this is only if they also fit or if they can just supply but worth a phone call)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I've just emailed Tooley Auto Imports with a quote for the timing chain parts that I found that I'd needed after some extensive research.

Once I've got the parts list with the confirmed parts numbers I'll post it here.

I might give McCaroll a go as well after I get the quote from Tooley and see if it's good.

I'm also in the process of going to Koni Yellows, fun stuff.

Hey, Did you end up getting this issue fixed in Melbourne? Think i have the same now at 145k

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Still on this.

Am yet to find anywhere apart from VW Dealers in Tasmania that seems viable to do this job..

I'm tempted to take it to Melbourne when I can.. Then just fly from there to a mates place in NSW for a week haha.

I've also got to replace my suspension soon too..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234