Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?) :(

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    What's happening with yours?
    Still kicking, now with 302K km but got bumped into sitting stationary at red light. Getting it fix, well hopefully. The guy did the right thing and lodged a claim in my favor but if the cost is too high I can see his insurance co. might want to write the car off. That wouldn't be good because if they paid out the market value a car with 302+K km would be worth peanuts. Getting the annoying globe failure dashboard light from my LED fog light and annoyingly I can not find a good canbus resistor that would last a while. So far I had 3 different ones and they all failed after 6-12 months. Any suggestions whee I can get a good one?
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Still kicking, now with 302K km but got bumped into sitting stationary at red light. Getting it fix, well hopefully. The guy did the right thing and lodged a claim in my favor but if the cost is too high I can see his insurance co. might want to write the car off. That wouldn't be good because if they paid out the market value a car with 302+K km would be worth peanuts. Getting the annoying globe failure dashboard light from my LED fog light and annoyingly I can not find a good canbus resistor that would last a while. So far I had 3 different ones and they all failed after 6-12 months. Any suggestions whee I can get a good one?
    I'm unsure on LED fog lights, I'm actually in need of some for the parker lights, the ones I got from Supernova are too long and hit the housings.. it doesn't harm it in any way, but it just looks shocking/i feel that they may scratch it over time.

I'm ordering a new pump soon, I got back (a week ago) from Grafton, NSW back to Tasmania. Made it in time to be able to get home and work from home luckily (with around 2 days to spare).

On the way back the vaccum pump was starting to sounds really bad, my timing is ok (better then I thought, -3 and -3).

I'm in self-isolation, I haven't even looked at the car in a week..

Going to get the timing chain done towards the end of the year.

Sorry to hear about the car, can't buy it back and fix it?

Yes, Old Navman, wondering how things have gone in terms of insurance, repairs etc... fingers crossed for you!
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by shinjukuthief View Post
    Yes, Old Navman, wondering how things have gone in terms of insurance, repairs etc... fingers crossed for you!
    Given all that is going on at the moment with the COVID it has taken a while BUT ... the car is currently at the panel beaters. Getting a new (s/hand) boot lid and a new bumper bar. Also getting the boot release button (the VW emblem) fixed. Last week I was given a choice - wait 2-3 weeks for new boot lid from Germany or get s/hand one now. Well, given it's taken from 6? March until last week just to get the car in I've decided on s/hand one. Let's face it, the car is almost 14 y.o. so that's no biggie.

As to your parker lights - that's what I use (I think it's a T10).
    Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?) :(-lumen-parkers-jpg

You just need to get the "error free" ones if you don't want the annoying yellow warning light on dashboard.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Given all that is going on at the moment with the COVID it has taken a while BUT ... the car is currently at the panel beaters. Getting a new (s/hand) boot lid and a new bumper bar. Also getting the boot release button (the VW emblem) fixed. Last week I was given a choice - wait 2-3 weeks for new boot lid from Germany or get s/hand one now. Well, given it's taken from 6? March until last week just to get the car in I've decided on s/hand one. Let's face it, the car is almost 14 y.o. so that's no biggie.

As to your parker lights - that's what I use (I think it's a T10).
    Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?) :(-lumen-parkers-jpg

You just need to get the "error free" ones if you don't want the annoying yellow warning light on dashboard.
    Cheers for the input!

Have an update for my clunking.

It's the chain.

Verified by removing the vaccum pump and checking it for play and noise in the bearing with my finger.

Additionally - ran the car with the pump removed as suggested by someone, used paper towel folded over multiple times while pushing on where the pump meets the block while i got someone to start the car (lost minimal oil) and it made the same noise.

Therefore its not the pump.

Car is going to have the chain, bottom tensioner and all of the guides replaced in the next few months once the COVID19 stuff has calmed down.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Matt, for park lights you need canbus error free T10 park lights.

im a dealer for illumo and do discount packages for R36 peeps. shoot me a message if you are after a set.

T10 - WHITE (CANBUS)– iilumo

Quote Originally Posted by Ashneel View Post
    Hey Matt, for park lights you need canbus error free T10 park lights.

im a dealer for illumo and do discount packages for R36 peeps. shoot me a message if you are after a set.

T10 - WHITE (CANBUS)– iilumo
    Hey mate, I think we discussed this on Facebook? I'll PM you there.

Cheers!

Still on this.

Am yet to find anywhere apart from VW Dealers in Tasmania that seems viable to do this job..

I'm tempted to take it to Melbourne when I can.. Then just fly from there to a mates place in NSW for a week haha.

I've also got to replace my suspension soon too..

Users Country Flag
    Any tips or a DIY for the upper tensioner?

Users Country Flag

Try McCaroll for parts I believe they are offering the parts at pretty much cost (not sure if this is only if they also fit or if they can just supply but worth a phone call)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast