Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?) :(

Users Country Flag

Engine and trans mount wear I think is starting to be a common issue.
    I replaced my trans mount while I had the gearbox out because it was worn.
    Also know another owner who recently had his engine and trans mounts replaced owing to wear.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Engine and trans mount wear I think is starting to be a common issue.
    I replaced my trans mount while I had the gearbox out because it was worn.
    Also know another owner who recently had his engine and trans mounts replaced owing to wear.
    Yeah I'm thinking that too, my normal mechanic/wrecker said that it looks fine.. But I feel that the engine moving that much isn't fine.

I'll let VW diagnose it, R36 parts are expensive and I don't really want to just throw money at the issue. Especially if it's the timing chain and I'll need to save what I can.

I was thinking of going with the 034 Engine Mounts as they seem to be overall decent from what people in the states have said (B6 4mo's). Money isn't tight for me, but stock mounts are cheaper by a fair margin.

Replaced the coolant bottle (the original one looked like it was due to leak/crack soon, so happy that I did. As well as the flange from the back of the motor. Turns out it was just the O-Ring, but it's not that it was even a pain to replace. But just a small waste of coolant and annoying if it wasn't just the O-Ring. I suppose I'll keep and clean the flange incase I get desperate later on down the line.

Unsure if I updated here, I also replaced the timing chain tensioner as well.

Managed to replace my PCV Diaphragm on the weekend, as well as dropped the coolant fully (dropped some to replace the flange). The old one was pretty much at the end of it's life so it'd have been due soon. It literally fell apart in my hands, obviously also replaced the rocker cover gasket and gave it a clean. Noticed some pitting on the furthermost two cams from the chain side. I'm assuming that this is normal since it has the lowest oil pressure/supply? My A4 was similar.

Did a TBA since the throttle body was off + the PCV diaphragm changing may have changed my idle and the car runs overall a lot smoother now it seems. Still has the vibration in the motor and that slight noise as per the video.

Additionally used a stethoscope on the HPFP and it seems that maybe the noise too. Compared this to another R36 and mine was louder. Mine was also warm and the other was cold, so who knows? Still no codes reported apart from the MAF being unplugged (whoops).
    Last edited by Matt86; 21-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Fuel pump isn't all that expensive and easy enough to get to
    Injectors are a bit more involved and you need to do the Teflon seals as well if you take them out
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Fuel pump isn't all that expensive and easy enough to get to
    Injectors are a bit more involved and you need to do the Teflon seals as well if you take them out
    Exactly! Cheers for the advice so far.

Car is running flawlessly now, I actually felt confident enough to launch it.

Planning to get the 034 Engine Mounts I feel, it's too soft and you get no feel. Figure that if I do not like them I can sell them and get stock spec'd mounts.

Aaand I'm back.

Finally took it to VW who were inconclusive today.. Their VW tech wasn't in this week - They are VW/Toyota
    So re-booked in for just shy of two weeks, however the diagnosis seems to be the HPFP at this point but obviously not 100% as it wasn't a VW Tech that looked at it..

Back again..

Timing chain isn't bad; however it was suggested that it's making more noise then is expected. I'm all good to drive the car and it'll likely last some time but I need to keep it in mind.

Additionally I need to check my brake vaccum pump and it was suggested to DIY. I'll pull that off one night after work once I've got the gasket ordered in and a quote/estimate on cost and shipping for the pump. Seems to be pricier.. But not terrible.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Aaand I'm back.

Finally took it to VW who were inconclusive today.. Their VW tech wasn't in this week - They are VW/Toyota
    So re-booked in for just shy of two weeks, however the diagnosis seems to be the HPFP at this point but obviously not 100% as it wasn't a VW Tech that looked at it..
    So did you end up relacing the HPFP? Did it help with the noise?
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    So did you end up relacing the HPFP? Did it help with the noise?
    Soooo I lost my password for my account recently and never got around to getting back here sorry!

It isn't the HPFP, it was diagnosed as the vaccum pump/timing chain/tensioners.

The vaccum pump was proven as the tone/sound of it changed when pressing the brake (brakes are vaccum assisted) according to the head tech at my local VW.

I'm yet to look at it, it's not urgent and I'm driving from TAS > Brisbane soon.. Got a friend up there that owns a workshop whose going to have a look for me. I've got the gasket as it's steel and is one time use (or so I'm told).

I've got some coilpacks that will be here tomorrow as well, I very rarely get a miss. It may not be the coilpacks but with no service history (apart from my own) and 180k I'm sure they're likely due soon. They were also very cheap and I had store credit to use up from a US website.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Soooo I lost my password for my account recently and never got around to getting back here sorry!

It isn't the HPFP, it was diagnosed as the vaccum pump/timing chain/tensioners.

The vaccum pump was proven as the tone/sound of it changed when pressing the brake (brakes are vaccum assisted) according to the head tech at my local VW.

I'm yet to look at it, it's not urgent and I'm driving from TAS > Brisbane soon.. Got a friend up there that owns a workshop whose going to have a look for me. I've got the gasket as it's steel and is one time use (or so I'm told).

I've got some coilpacks that will be here tomorrow as well, I very rarely get a miss. It may not be the coilpacks but with no service history (apart from my own) and 180k I'm sure they're likely due soon. They were also very cheap and I had store credit to use up from a US website.

Thanks Mate
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Thanks Mate
    What's happening with yours?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast