Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit OEM LED Tail Lights Passat B7 (VCDS Byte 18)

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb Retrofit OEM LED Tail Lights Passat B7 (VCDS Byte 18)

Hello, this is my first post so if I missed anything please let me know.

Has anyone retrofitted OEM / Aftermarket LED Tail Lights to a VW Passat B7 (Australian Version)? They function correctly and all the lights work as it should however I am getting errors on the MFD such as "Check Rear Left / Right Side Light".
    I realize it might require some coding in Byte 18 using VCDS but I have no idea what HEX code I should use.

It's currently 64 based on the information I have as the car came standard with HALOGEN Tail Lights & Headlights with front fogs.

Does anyone know the correct HEX value for LED Tail Lights with NO rear fog option. If you need anymore details please let me know or if they know an alternative method other then resistors. Cheers

See photo of Byte 18 below:

Retrofit OEM LED Tail Lights Passat B7 (VCDS Byte 18)-byte-18-jpg
    Last edited by resp0nd; 31-01-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have also done some research using the following link: www.pjruane.com/jm/Byte18.pdf

My HEX value seems to be 64 and from what I can decipher using the definitions below, I need to use 65 to remove the BULB error on LED tail lights. Can anyone verify this or offer a solution?

Definitions:
    NAR: North America
    CHN: China
    USA: Usa Only
    RDW: Rest der Welt (world)
    GTI: GTI Only
    ABL: Abblendlicht (beam)
    Gedimmt, ged. (dimmed)
    Heck (stern)
    Komplett (completely, totally)
    LL: Linkslenker (control left)
    RL: Rechtslenker (control right)
    Separate, sep. (separate)
    Mit, m (with)
    Ohne, o. (without)
    TFL: Tagfahrlicht (daytime running lights or daytime running lights)
    TFL_0: TFL mit NSL u. RFL (daytime running lights rear fog light and reversing light)
    TFL_1: TFL TFL mit-Outputs (daytime running lights huomiovalolähdöillä?)
    TFL_S: TFL Scandinavia Abblendlicht m (daytime running lights with lights near Scandinavia)
    TFL_SH: TFL mit Shutter (shutter daytime running lights)
    TFL_LED: LED-Module und mit Doppelfunktion PO TFL (LED module for a dual-function parking lights and daytime running lights)
    TFL_0_S: Sonderlösung Skand., Vorhalt (ad-hoc solution to Scandinavia)
    PO, POL Positionslicht (front light, or familiarly parking lights)
    PO_LED: LED Module, nur für PO genutzt (led module, only the parking lights)
    XE: Xenon (Xenon)
    SL: Schlusslicht (tail light)
    NSL: Nebelschlusslicht (rear fog light)
    RFL: Rückfahrlicht (no light)
    SBBR: Scluss, Brems, Blinker, Rückfahr (tail, stop, signal, and no lights)
    AU: Audi
    SE: Seat
    SK: Skoda
    VW: Volkswagen
    Last edited by resp0nd; 31-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Users Country Flag
    One way to find out...try it and see.
    Make sure you clear all errors and try locking, unlocking between checking all lighting functions.
    There is a small chance it could end up damaging your BCM.

Or you can install inline resistors.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thought that might be case. But I'm surprised that no one has retrofitted OEM led tail lights on a Passat before. I see tonnes of Golf's being done, but never Passat's. Of course this is my luck LOL.

What happens if the BCM bricks? Do you know any people or places that have VCDS that be able to code this for me?

Users Country Flag
    Anyone with VCDS can change the coding.
    People with Passats I think either don't do many mods, or have R36s which already have LED tails.
    Worst case if you kill the BCM you'll have to replace it.

Where abouts in Sydney are you?
    There are people in different parts of the city that have VCDS and will code for beer.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Aint that the truth, but modding is in my DNA so its hard to resist

Im located in the Campbelltown Area or Liverpool Area during the week, happy to PM some people if you know them. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    If you don't mind coming up to the Hills or North Ryde area I'm happy to help.

Thanks kamold, I'll see if I can make it up one day. Time is a bit tight with the family but if you could PM me your contact details I'll flick you a txt to organise something when your free.

I also had a look into security codes (eg 31347) for Central Electronics but it doesn't work on my BCM. Do you or anyone else know the correct security code to unlock hidden functions in Central Electronics?

On that note, it seems that changing the HEX value to the next number in sequence in Central Electronics (Byte Eighteen 1.8. will often eliminate LED issues, I read this somewhere but cannot verify it. Anyone heard of this?

Eg. My current HEX is 64 (01100100) and if I change it to 65 (01100101) it will eliminate certain LED issues on cars that come stock HALOGEN lighting. Apparently that's how retrofitters do it in there shops?? Does this sound right??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast