Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing rear brake pads causes EPB fault

Users Country Flag

Angry Replacing rear brake pads causes EPB fault

Last week I had to change my rear brake pads. The rear calipers are fitted with electric parking brakes so I used VCDS. After changing both rear brake pads now only the left EPB works. Dashboard showing flashing P, exclamation mark, EPB button light and very loud audio alarm when mobile. Checked the electric motor on the problem site (RHS) by applying direct current - Ok, checked EPB button by swapping with new spare Ok. Deleted all DTC fault codes, tried reset 30, disconnecting battery for 30 min nothing works. When re-scanned VCDS shows:

00473 - Control Module for Elec Park brake (J540)
    013 check DTC memory - intermittent
    fault status 00101101, fault priority 0
    fault frequency 255.

I've read somewhere that those electric motors are separately controlled by a module located in the boot (battery side?) Still, is it possible for one to be working Ok and the other to be faulty? If that is so, I'm thinking there must be a control switch for each individual EPB?

Any suggestions guys?
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Does anybody have an electrical schematic diagram for the rear EPB's?
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    I can probably find one but what I'd do is go back in with your VCDS and Start lining replacement again and then End lining replacement straight away.

Maybe the piston wasnt wound back far enough or something.

Gavin

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

I've tried using that option in VCDS but it only worked on one side (LHS). I was kinda hoping that it would be simply a matter of a faulty actuator motor but with motor operating when powered directly by 12V it looks like it has to be something else. I've eliminated the EPB switch so now apart from a broken wire (both parking brakes were working Ok prior to disassembly) I can only think of one more thing that is the EPB control module. The calipers were disassembled, cleaned and a seal repair kit used. The piston was hand pressure fitted so it's not likely to be stuck but in any event there is no current coming to the RHS actuator motor connector plug so this is where the problem lies.

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps you have managed to damage the wiring/plug running to the RHS parking brake motor when removing the calipers? If there is a plug at the caliper make sure there is no debris on the connections and that it is plugged in correctly.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yes, the plug not having been taken off for many years was really stuck and it took some persuasion & WD40 to get it off. It's only 2 wire plug and while I did measure the continuity (current status grounded/closed circuit) to a closer physical inspection the plug appeared OK. I've used electrical contact cleaner a fair bit to clean it out so unless the pins were somehow pulled out and are touching ... If possible, I don't want to go the full Monty pulling off the center console to get to the EPB control module if I can avoid it

Today I got the faulty? EPB control module out - it's the 3C0 907 801B C2.1. Can this module be replaced by a more updated version say A? Does it then require security code for new adaptation?
    Replacing rear brake pads causes EPB fault-20210401_epb-control-module-jpg

Users Country Flag
    A newer version will have a different alphabetical reference at the end of the part number (eg B,C,D etc) as well as a newer build date. See this one for example:

Volkswagen Passat B6 Electric Handbrake Control Module Unit 3C0 907 801 J OEM 4058659693674 | eBay

Best to try and find the same part number so you know you can swap a like for like product, but failing that a newer part number should theoretically work also.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A newer version will have a different alphabetical reference at the end of the part number (eg B,C,D etc) as well as a newer build date. See this one for example:

Volkswagen Passat B6 Electric Handbrake Control Module Unit 3C0 907 801 J OEM 4058659693674 | eBay

Best to try and find the same part number so you know you can swap a like for like product, but failing that a newer part number should theoretically work also.
    I'll try to get a replacement with same ref.

Users Country Flag

You can use the newer 3AA part, it's a supersession from the 3C0 part. Anything up to 3AA907801J.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast