Thread: Recommend Roof Racks - R36 Wagon

Recommend Roof Racks - R36 Wagon

Hi guys

After having quite some fun with our first camp trip, we're planning on another in April. Saying so, I'm on the hunt for a set of roof racks to mount our tent on the roof while travelling, and may look into purchasing a gazebo of some sort. We've purchased an Coleman Instant Up and unfortunately will only fit on an angle in the boot with the 2 boosters, I can't seem to find any gazebo to fit without putting a seat down which is not an option.

I've been very keen on either the Whispbar / Prorack S53 or Thule Wingbar Edge 9854 however was wondering if anyone has had experience with these on a vehicle with sunroof. Another extremely novice question, would I need a tray or some sort or would I be able to mount strap the gear on safety without?

Any advice/pics would be highly appreciated thanks!
    Last edited by pandas; 01-01-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I don't have a sunroof but I can recommend the Whispbars.
    I use them for either a set of 2 bike racks or a 400L roof pod.
    I wouldn't recommend strapping a tent onto roof racks on its own.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks will look into overall set up a little deeper, pod would be great however out of my current budget.
    Might invest into a compact gazebo, the Oztrail 2.4x2.4m compact seem like they fold up quite nicely.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve got proracks with an eBay alloy roof basket. It’s on a wagon and the sunroof lifts without hitting the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    I’ve got proracks with an eBay alloy roof basket. It’s on a wagon and the sunroof lifts without hitting the bars.
    Thanks when you say prorack, are they the s53? Also do you recall what size the basket is?

Users Country Flag
    Mine is the X53. I mounted it just behind the sunroof so it can still tilt.
    I’ll measure the tray/basket tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    Mine is the X53. I mounted it just behind the sunroof so it can still tilt.
    I’ll measure the tray/basket tomorrow.
    Just read up the difference between the x and s, so it’s essentially just the shape of the bar itself.

Users Country Flag
    The roof tray is about 1250x950mm and the edges come up about 50mm.
    That is the useable space. Overall it’s slightly larger.

For what it's worth i have Thule 515-0165-02 (120cm) on my B7 with a sunroof.

Just make sure you have enough clearance between the glass and the sunroof foot (see pic)Recommend Roof Racks - R36 Wagon-clear-jpg

I use Thule 757 rapid system foot pack and you can then choose your bar. The racks are super easy to install and remove so I went for the cheaper square bar rather than the whisper because I only put the racks on when I need them. The roof rails are tapered closer together towards the front of the car, so for the foot packs clear the panoramic roof glass when open I move the front bar back until they are about in line with back of the glass sunroof. This might sound like you're loosing a lot of roof rack storage but on the wagon it's fine. My roof pod sits over the top of the rear and back seat so you can fully open up the roof and enjoy the sun while you've got a big pod on. I figure that if you need the roof rack space all the way up near the front of the car then you're covering up the sunroof anyway so no need to open it. Here she is:
    Recommend Roof Racks - R36 Wagon-capture-jpg