Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: R36 Wagon - Power Tailgate closing issues?

Users Country Flag

Hi guys, new to this conversation and have been reading through it. My tailgate issues seem to be different and was hopeful of some advice.
    Ok so last night I changed the light in the boot and oh no we seemed to have an issue.

So the light wouldn't work, ok maybe I Blew a fuse. Nothing bad i'll do it tomorrow as I have work in the morning. So i'll just close the tailgate and forget it yeah...... No. So not only was the light in the back not working the tailgate would not close and the button was also not illuminated.

So I go on a fuse hunt ofr the next 2 hours. I read up on all the fuses and can not find a single one blown for the auto tailgate. So after 12am hits and I need to be up for work in like 4 hours I decide to painfully close the tailagte by hand (so hate that) and call it a night. But I went ahead and pressed the unlock under the number plate and wow the tailgate went up powered all fine.
    So the issue seems to be, no tailgate interior light and the button inside the tailgate isn't working.

Does anyone have the location of the fuse as all the searches and video's I see seemed to be for LHD american models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Have a look here is a couple of lots of Passat electrics that may help Usually there is a fuse list in the handbook.

Passat/ Polo Manual - Google Drive
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Thanks For that.

Had a long look throuh the pdf's much appreciated. But I now feel I might need an auto electrician to look into this. Hard on my head that it works to open but not close. And the hard one is the boot light. I closed the tailgate by hand (which I hate to do) and other than the light the car is fully operational. It feels this one is beyond me
    M12.5 VW Passat Wagon, 4motion 3.6 DSG 6 speed. A pleasure to drive.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/signaturepics/sigpic382831_1.gif

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_R36suit View Post
    Thanks For that.

Had a long look throuh the pdf's much appreciated. But I now feel I might need an auto electrician to look into this. Hard on my head that it works to open but not close. And the hard one is the boot light. I closed the tailgate by hand (which I hate to do) and other than the light the car is fully operational. It feels this one is beyond me
    B7's boot catches were a known problem

Users Country Flag
    Maybe the micro switch for the boot light has failed so the tailgate module doesn’t recognise that it’s open?
    The switch is probably in the catch as above.

Users Country Flag
    I have new news. Bought a multimeter and tested both power from the plugs into the light switch and close button. Both have voltage.
    I might buy a new boot switch or even pop into a wreckers see if they would kindly loan me one for testing.

The MFD shows the tailgate up & also locked. Currently I've got it safely locked. Also it's not far off a service if all fails.
    M12.5 VW Passat Wagon, 4motion 3.6 DSG 6 speed. A pleasure to drive.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/signaturepics/sigpic382831_1.gif

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_R36suit View Post
    I have new news. Bought a multimeter and tested both power from the plugs into the light switch and close button. Both have voltage.
    I might buy a new boot switch or even pop into a wreckers see if they would kindly loan me one for testing.

The MFD shows the tailgate up & also locked. Currently I've got it safely locked. Also it's not far off a service if all fails.
    Hi

Did the same and started testing continuity around the wiring - does anyone know what the pins are exactly in the tailgate switch please?
    Particularly 17 and 20 are harder to guestimate what they might be or do.

Thanks

R36 Wagon - Power Tailgate closing issues?-vw-passat-tailgate-switch-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Just piping in to share my tailgate experience. Had the same issues as everyone here - wouldn't open with the open button nor close with close button, and it resisted opening manually. I had it parked at a campsite with music playing with the boot open. After about 3 hours (including restarting the h/u every 30 mins) the tailgate shut itself and has been working properly ever since.
    2012 MY13 Passat FSIV6 Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PoMoPassat View Post
    Just piping in to share my tailgate experience. Had the same issues as everyone here - wouldn't open with the open button nor close with close button, and it resisted opening manually. I had it parked at a campsite with music playing with the boot open. After about 3 hours (including restarting the h/u every 30 mins) the tailgate shut itself and has been working properly ever since.
    Probably shut in sympathy with the other campers listening to your music LOL

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PoMoPassat View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what did you restart every 30 mins?

cheers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast