Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R36 - Time to look for a new battery

R36 - Time to look for a new battery

Hi guys

Original battery is giving in I believe, dropping under 12v and tripping the parking mode in my car after turning off the ignition. (Don't think this is normal - I'm no mechanic myself...)

I also purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 yesterday for ~$100 off eBay with the 15% eBay Plus discount for the sake of it as I'll be going on a family trip in 2 weeks, not sure if it'll help or not after a recondition.

Just wanting to see what people are running in their R36 at the moment, and any recommendations of places I can purchase a new battery around Sydney?

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Going under 12v doesn't on it's own indicate a failing battery. Possibly just that it is being depleted.
    Go to your nearest Battery World and they will test it quickly.
    If you are going to replace it I would recommend an AGM like the factory one that you have as it will last unlike a cheap flooded lead acid which can die after a few years.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I replaced my original battery last year with a Varta AGM G14 battery from an Ebay reseller. Not cheap at $500, but I essentially wanted an OEM replacement so was prepared to pay the price.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Had NRMA drop by , and apparently the battery dropped to around 8volts when cranking. Not too sure if thats thorough enough?
    Option of $425 for their AGM, alternatively can look at purchasing a Varta G14 for a bit over $500.
    Thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    Yep 8v is too low.
    $425 for an AGM is pretty good value.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Yeah seemed like a reasonable deal, just unsure about the quality of their batteries though. Slightly leaning towards a Varta.

Users Country Flag
    Id say go Varta!
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    I would say go with the Varta as the OEM one is, and mine is still going after 10 years.
    However I've now had 2 Varta flooded lead acid batteries both fail just outside of their 2 year warranty.
    So now I'm not so convinced that the retail Varta and German OEM Varta are comparable.
    If it's AGM from a known manufacturer I would say you'll be Ok.

Thanks guys ended up buying a Varta G14 last night on eBay - took advantage of the 10% discount + cash rewards so it ended up costing ~$90 more than NRMA.

Delivery was made today (kudos to Trackwarrior for sorting it out so quickly). Also bought a CTEK MXS5.0, would it be recommended to run a charge on the new battery with it prior installation?

Julian the battery is made in Germany, would this still be the "retail" Varta's you're referring to?

Users Country Flag

If it's AGM you'll be fine.
    The Vartas that I've had fail were flooded lead acid.
    I wouldn't recommend anything but AGM in anything other than a cheap runabout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast