Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R36 PCV Valve Replacement

Users Country Flag

R36 PCV Valve Replacement

So my mechanic has informed me that the PCV Valve on my R36 is leaking and needs to be replaced. I understand that oil ventilation issues can lead to all sorted of issues like misfires and the like so I need to get it sorted.

Anyway I was told that the PCV is part of the engine rocker cover and that this needs to be replaced with a factory/OEM part. With three hours labour the quote I received was just over $1,000...

Is this reasonable? Is there a more economical solution that works?
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Users Country Flag
    YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    RKX VW & Audi 3.6 & 3.2 Engine Valve Cover PCV Valve Diaphragm membrane V6 VR6 R32 – RKXtech

It looks like its easy enough to only replace the diaphragm...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Domatron View Post
    RKX VW & Audi 3.6 & 3.2 Engine Valve Cover PCV Valve Diaphragm membrane V6 VR6 R32 – RKXtech

It looks like its easy enough to only replace the diaphragm...

Thanks Domatron, I just found that myself. It does appear to be the answer and a lot cheaper too... I will order one!
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

As far as having a mechanic do it all for you, including their mark up on the parts, and also labour, $1k seems about standard. Mine was a little more, however that included new sparkplugs as well. Although I was told (and have read elsewhere) that the rocker cover has to be replaced as well?
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

So the pcv valve is incorporated in the rocker cover and VW don't sell the pcv as a separate part, only the entire rocker, which I think is in the vicinity of $500-600.

There is a "how to" thread on the VW Vortex forum and it certainly appears doable for someone with basic skills like myself.
    I've ordered the kit, which includes gaskets for the rocker cover and inlet manifold for just under US$100 and will give it a go...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    So the pcv valve is incorporated in the rocker cover and VW don't sell the pcv as a separate part, only the entire rocker, which I think is in the vicinity of $500-600.

There is a "how to" thread on the VW Vortex forum and it certainly appears doable for someone with basic skills like myself.
    I've ordered the kit, which includes gaskets for the rocker cover and inlet manifold for just under US$100 and will give it a go...
    What symptoms, if any, were you experiencing prior to the mechanic diagnosing the issue?

Keep us posted...

Quote Originally Posted by Domatron View Post
    What symptoms, if any, were you experiencing prior to the mechanic diagnosing the issue?

Keep us posted...

To be honest the engine has been performing faultlessly - no misfires. When I popped the bonnet after a drive it did smell a bit fumey though. It may be a while before I get a chance to change the part so I will keep an eye on the engine in the meantime.

Users Country Flag
    3 hours?
    I did it twice yesterday (if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing it again after making a mistake so you learn a lesson...) and it would have taken a total of about 1.5hours total for both attempts.

Here is a video another member @ianpgonzaga

YouTube
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    3 hours?
    I did it twice yesterday (if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing it again after making a mistake so you learn a lesson...) and it would have taken a total of about 1.5hours total for both attempts.

Here is a video another member @ianpgonzaga

YouTube
    Thanks Kamold. 3 hours seems a lot especially as they only replace the rocker cover and not service the pcv. I notice in @ianpgonzaga video that he didn't replace the rocker cover or inlet manifold gaskets. I ordered these as it made sense to replace them as the guy in the VW Vortex explanatory thread did.

@ianpgonzaga does make it seem easy. I'm sure it isn't, especially extracting the pcv, but I hate spending unnecessary money on parts that are still serviceable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast