Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R36 PCV Valve Replacement

Users Country Flag

Pretty sure Ian just left that part out of the video.
    The gaskets take 5mins and are part of the kit, so he just would have edited for brevity I assume.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Pretty sure Ian just left that part out of the video.
    The gaskets take 5mins and are part of the kit, so he just would have edited for brevity I assume.
    You can order just the diaphragm without the gaskets. That is what I initially did and then changed my order to buy the complete kit. I'm sure you can get away without replacing the gaskets but it makes sense to do this having broken the seal.

I've heard stories of using non-original rocker covers as replacements, but they don't work apparently.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Users Country Flag
    Definitely easy and nothing too tricky. Fiddliest part was getting the pcv cyclonic unit out of the cam cover but just keep praying away, evenly, and it’s all peachy.

Take note of the original diaphragm orientation. Then re assemble. 1k for this job... you’re getting ripped off there!

Users Country Flag
    Ps. I didn’t renew the cam cover gaskets.

I’ve re used many non leaking ones (both vr6 and 4cyl). It’s only when they’re leaking is what flags me to change.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So I did this job over the weekend - but it took two attempts! First up I went to a mate's workshop on Saturday and set about the task. It wasn't that difficult and my mate helped out. It was when we got the pcv unit out of the rocker cover that things got difficult. I got a bit confused as to how the new membrane attached to the small spring and the larger spring. When we put it back together it ran ok to start with and then the revs raced at idle and it didn’t sound very happy. I ran out of time so planned to do it again first thing Sunday at home.

The process was a lot smoother than the previous day though one of the connectors to a coil pack had broken (a previous bodge - not me). My mate had managed to separate it the previous day but I couldn’t. Ultimately I just took out the connector with coilpack attached, easy. Anyway I took apart the pcv module and it became clear (having studied the online videos again) that I had put the new membrane in upside down– not sure how I managed that! Anyway put it all back together and the engine ran smoothly – job done!

How long did it take? A bit over two hours on Saturday and a bit under two hours on Sunday. I didn’t replace the rocker cover or inlet manifold gaskets – they looked fine. And yes, the original pcv membrane was perforated.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    Ps. I didn’t renew the cam cover gaskets.

I’ve re used many non leaking ones (both vr6 and 4cyl). It’s only when they’re leaking is what flags me to change.
    Guys, does anybody have tension specs in case a new gasket is installed? Tks
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag

Here you go ...

R36 PCV Valve Replacement-screen-shot-2019-03-14-5-10-22-am-jpg

#5 is cam cover bolt torque spec

Users Country Flag
    Ian, thanks for the torquing specs, btw very helpful PCV replacement video. Cheers
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    No probs and thanks.

Umm so question got missed in between but what are the symptoms when this needs to be done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast