Thread: R36 oil in intake manifold?

Lightbulb R36 oil in intake manifold?

I was changing some sensors on my R36, so decided to remove inlet manifold and change some rocker cover seals too.

I've noticed quite bit of puddle of dripping from the inlet manifold while it was on my bench out the runner? Is this normal?

I've stripped pvc system and changed the seals/valve but existing one looked fine.

Users Country Flag
    The pcv is the only place oil could get in; a small amount of vapour can condense. Did you inspect the valves while you had the intake off?

I will be doing my valve cover gasket in the next few weeks, so it's will be interesting to see what mine looks like.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Jokes aside - post a few pics as they tend to tell a thousand words.

What does 'quite a bit puddle mean'? Where exactly is the oil?

The amount and location is important. Should be oily to touch sure but not saturated.
    Where there any visable signs of deformation/damage/pinching in any of the manifold seals? Is PCV membrane intact or has it been breached?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Wait till you see the intake ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    The pcv is the only place oil could get in; a small amount of vapour can condense. Did you inspect the valves while you had the intake off?

I will be doing my valve cover gasket in the next few weeks, so it's will be interesting to see what mine looks like.
    Was thinking that also, How common is it for the pvc box in the rocker cover can go faulty?

The pvc hose which goes bolt into intake manifold was very oily.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Jokes aside - post a few pics as they tend to tell a thousand words.

What does 'quite a bit puddle mean'? Where exactly is the oil?

The amount and location is important. Should be oily to touch sure but not saturated.
    Where there any visable signs of deformation/damage/pinching in any of the manifold seals? Is PCV membrane intact or has it been breached?
    wished i had took some pics, give a example of how much oil was dripping, about 3 table spoons ish of oil,

i assumed this be thin coat of oil but not that much. explain why my plugs were abit darker.

manifold seals assume, 6 square rings? no they seemed okay, abit oil but nothing was leaking past em. the pvc membrane/diaphragm seemed okay wasnt ripped , could it have leaked around it .

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post

Wait till you see the intake ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow that is bad, i cant remove the 1nd lower part of the manifold due to access and draining the fuel rail. but will try to get camera in some how.