Thread: R36 - Loud Screeching

R36 - Loud Screeching

Morning folks

About 10 minutes into my commute this morning, I heard a sudden loud screech in the car. Thinking I'd hit something, I pulled over to inspect. Nothing there. Checked underneath the car, all the wheel wells, brakes and discs.. Nothing! Happened to stop in front of an empty car park so I drove slowly into it, the same screeching came back just sounding like metal on metal.

Wife and I were able to determine the noise was coming from the front left wheel. Whether it was rolled slowly forward, in reverse, steering full lock left & right again rolling in drive and reverse the noise was the same. Brakes are still working, the sound doesn't change pitch or volume with the brakes on or off rolling. Still the whole time, we couldn't visually see anything that'd be causing it. No errors or warning lights on the dash.

Now here's the interesting part. We turned off the car and locked it. Waited a few moments then unlocked it, put the key in and started it up. Rolled the car forward a bit - no noise! Then in reverse - no noise! I was able to drive back home, no issue with noise, steering, accelerating and stopping. It was as if nothing happened. I'm currently waiting for a mate to rock up with jack and stands so we can get underneath.

Any theories?

Car specs FYI:
    2008 R36 Wagon. 113k kms. Stock. Zero mods. Last overall inspection was a month ago while getting the DSG oil replaced. My mechanic noted at the time that the lower control arm castor blocks needed replacing but I don't think that was the issue this morning. Other than this event, she's been perfect.
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk