Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R36 LED conversion

Users Country Flag

R36 LED conversion

Hey guys,

So recently, I have decided to change a vast majority of the lights on/in my vehicle to LED. I have so far only (successfully) managed to swap out the parking lights. I ordered an LED licence plate assembly, which when it arrived was clearly not for the R36 as advertised, it had both a different plug and was a different size to the original assembly, meaning it didn't even fit in the bumper.

I have done some research on here and notice a lot of you have gone down the same path, which is why I am here to ask for guidance, so as to not end up with poor quality items. Can anyone help me out by sharing some links for different LED's used, specifically at the moment for licence plate and interior LED's?

Thanks for any help.
    Pat

What's the benefit of swapping all the lighting to LED?

Does this include headlight halogen bulbs to LED bulbs?

Users Country Flag
    Hey Pat,
    I see you live around St Lucia. If you want to, I can help you out and show you what they all look like on mine seeing as though I live in the same area. I literally just installed the last piece of the puzzle yesterday with regards to the festoon LED bulb in the rear cargo area as I kept getting sent the wrong size even though I specifically asked for 42mm!! But I can't do it this weekend. Next weekend should be ok though if you are around, or sometime after work next week works also. I could come to you on my way home from work if that suits. That way I can let you know what you are looking for and I can then also send you links to the appropriate LED's. I might even be able to sell you some on the spot if they are the same as mine as I have bought a packet and I have some to sell (if you are interested). Just let me know mate.
    Leon
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dero View Post
    What's the benefit of swapping all the lighting to LED?

Does this include headlight halogen bulbs to LED bulbs?
    The benefit is mostly cosmetic, white lights look better and more modern than standard halogen.

My headlights are xenon. I don't think LED headlights are a thing, Philips crystal vision or similar are a good alternative, if you don't want to go full xenon conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by snerlo View Post
    Hey Pat,
    I see you live around St Lucia. If you want to, I can help you out and show you what they all look like on mine seeing as though I live in the same area. I literally just installed the last piece of the puzzle yesterday with regards to the festoon LED bulb in the rear cargo area as I kept getting sent the wrong size even though I specifically asked for 42mm!! But I can't do it this weekend. Next weekend should be ok though if you are around, or sometime after work next week works also. I could come to you on my way home from work if that suits. That way I can let you know what you are looking for and I can then also send you links to the appropriate LED's. I might even be able to sell you some on the spot if they are the same as mine as I have bought a packet and I have some to sell (if you are interested). Just let me know mate.
    Leon
    Hey Leon,

That sounds perfect, I'll PM you and hopefully get a look at everything. Plus I see you posting on here all the time, would be good to have a chat with someone who knows what they're doing haha.

Users Country Flag
    All good mate.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    With the help of some very good threads in this site I've replaced all interior lights with LED's except for foot wells. I have ordered red LED's for those. Also have LED puddle lights. Looks fantastic - way better than standard bulbs.

Also so have LED daytime running lights again with the help of this site. Brilliant.
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Netrover View Post
    With the help of some very good threads in this site I've replaced all interior lights with LED's except for foot wells. I have ordered red LED's for those. Also have LED puddle lights. Looks fantastic - way better than standard bulbs.

Also so have LED daytime running lights again with the help of this site. Brilliant.

We are a helpful bunch. Show us what those Red Footwell lights looked like. Pleaseeeee
    Rising Blue MY10 Passat R36
    BLACK '97 Mk3 GL 2.0L
    White '82 MK1 Cabrio 1.8L
    Vice-President - VWDCQ (VW Drivers Club of Queenland inc)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    We are a helpful bunch. Show us what those Red Footwell lights looked like. Pleaseeeee
    I ordered some interior lights last week and went with some blue footwells, to match the car Should arrive early next week.

Still struggling on licence plate assembly that fits though...

Users Country Flag
    I'll be able to help you out mate whenever you wanna have a catch up as they changed the fittings between model years.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Here it is. Messy footwell I know!

This is the box they came in and what they look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast