Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R36 Front right dipped beam (xenon) not working.

R36 Front right dipped beam (xenon) not working.

Hi all,

I have been trying to troubleshoot what could be the cause of the problem.

I have checked the fuses inside the dash and also in the engine bay. The fuses are fine (or so it seems).

I have removed and swapped around the ballasts and tested both on the working (left) side. Both fire up the bulb on the left.

I have checked the wiring loom on the right side and it seems to be fine, as the parking lights come on.

The motor that moves the self adjustment continues to work even when the bulb doesn't turn on.

I think it could be the bulb itself but I'm dreading the removal of the front end to access it.

I did this about a year ago when I replaced both bulbs as they had both stopped working and I needed to fix it before I got a RWC after buying it.

Have you got any ideas?

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like the globe...
    Off with your bumper!
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Yep, off with your bumper. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Thanks guys! I've order new globes and will be fitting them in this weekend.

I ended up taking it to VW in Frankston. They quoted me $85 for a 30min job and emailed it to me so I booked it in right away.

20 mins into the job they called me out and said it was going to take a few hours so the loaned me the manager's new Passat with only 1600kms on the clock and I returned at the end of the day to pick it up.

The lights look great. I sourced my own 4300K globes. They are a nice pure white. I had 6000K in there before but they were too blue and not as bright. The ones in there now are 50% stronger.

Only downside is that a week later the left hand side driving light has gone. Does the bumper need to be removed to replace this too?

Can you help answer my latest question? ��

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashingdutchman View Post
    Can you help answer my latest question? ��
    Left hand side you can get to without taking off the bumper.
    It's a bit of a mission but it's possible.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

I'm trying to do this on my B7 passat. I can get the backing cover off ok, but the xenon bulb doesn't want to twist out - there is obviously something locking in place, any hints?

Users Country Flag
    If I remember correctly there is a locking ring in front of the igniter on the D3S bulbs.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    If I remember correctly there is a locking ring in front of the igniter on the D3S bulbs.
    They are d1s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast