Thread: R36 electric tailgate wont close.

R36 electric tailgate wont close.

Hi all. Im having this problem with the electric tailgate that wont close when i press the button on the tailgate.
    The problem arose when i left it open for about 10 minutes.
    I thought it just timed out so i locked and then unlocked the car hoping it would reset but didnt.
    I also tried inserting the key to turn on the ignition to reset but still no joy.
    The actuator is working when triggered from the remote and the drivers door button so no problem there.
    Next i put some pressure on the door and it manually closed hoping again it would reset and then opened ok automatically but still wont close.
    Has this happened to anyone here?
    Any advice wpuld be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Have you checked if it closes when you push the external button above the number plate?

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. Changing the inside close button worked a charm. Cost about $30 off eBay and took about 5 mins to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Domatron View Post
    Have you checked if it closes when you push the external button above the number plate?

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. Changing the inside close button worked a charm. Cost about $30 off eBay and took about 5 mins to change.

External button above the number plate? What is that? Do you meant the external tailgate handle - where the RVC is?

I'm having the same issue. Tailgate opens fine. It is just closing it on the button. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and then I have to force it closed, which I don't like doing.

No fault code thrown when I last had the R36 serviced. Doing a bit of research here led me to believe that the button itself is faulty. I've heard it is between $50 and $90 to replace.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Thanks Domatron. Wasnt aware the open button doubled as a close button so I'll check it out.
    I tested the inside button and it is ok. (Pin 2,3 switched and 1,4 for the backlighting).

I also noticed that the rear cargo light crapped out the same time but the front and centre are fine so I'll check the fuses.

I know there are 2 motors. Are they dual function and share the load or is one for close and the other for open

@prn31 i hear you about forcing the tailgate.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    External button above the number plate? What is that? Do you meant the external tailgate handle - where the RVC is?
    Yes that's the one. When I had this issue I would pull the tailgate down a little so that I could reach over and push the tailgate release. It would then close normally as if pushing the internal button. Much better than forcing it (always made me cringe).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussbak View Post
    Thanks Domatron. Wasnt aware the open button doubled as a close button so I'll check it out.

I know there are 2 motors. Are they dual function and share the load or is one for close and the other open
    Have no idea about the motor operation. Can't help you there.

Hopefully the external release works for you and at least have a work around till you get it resolved.

Ok just checked a few things.
    I couldnt find any specific fuse listing for the tailgate nor interior light so i checked them all and seem to be ok.
    The external button only opens, nothing else and i dont ever recall it ever did open.
    Tested the switch operation with multimeter and was ok.
    Contacts on pin 2,3. Backlighting on 1,4.
    Shorted out pin 2, 3 on the switch harness and nothing.
    Once its closed i can open normally using the remote, drivers door button and external button on the tailgate so the motors is good.
    Next thing is strip the roof lining to check the motors.
    This is starting to do my head in. 😠

Quote Originally Posted by Pussbak View Post
    Ok just checked a few things.
    I couldnt find any specific fuse listing for the tailgate nor interior light so i checked them all and seem to be ok.
    The external button only opens, nothing else and i dont ever recall it ever did open.
    Tested the switch operation with multimeter and was ok.
    Contacts on pin 2,3. Backlighting on 1,4.
    Shorted out pin 2, 3 on the switch harness and nothing.
    Once its closed i can open normally using the remote, drivers door button and external button on the tailgate so the motors is good.
    Next thing is strip the roof lining to check the motors.
    This is starting to do my head in. 😠

Hello, did you find the solution? Im having the same issue and dont know what to do