Thread: Question on B7 Alltrack

Question on B7 Alltrack

Hi there new to the forum but am a member of VWGolf!
    I am in the process of selling my beloved GTi, wonderful car but not practical anymore as even though it’s a second car it’s main use is to take me surfing and the boards don’t fit that well! Yes I could get roof racks but why not use it as an excuse to upgrade to a wagon?!
    Anyway I digress
    I’ve been eyeing off a few B7 Alltracks and had a few questions...
    Firstly are they good? Drive seems comfortable but reliability? Understand you need to make sure there’s no shunting in the DSG...anything else?

Also I am trying to understand the main differences between a 2013 and say a 2015? Understand there was a slight engine upgrade from 12 - 13 but what about later on?

The reason I ask is I found a nice 13 model, low kms (55000) that’s currently priced a few grand below a 15 with 75000
    Both have sports pack and extras, the 15 is a slightly better colour but otherwise are they pretty much the same?

Final question I promise? Is it worth my while springing the extra cash for an early B8? Or should I just target a late B7?

Cheers guys and thanks for your help / input

Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Gusto View Post
    Hi there new to the forum but am a member of VWGolf!
    I am in the process of selling my beloved GTi, wonderful car but not practical anymore as even though it’s a second car it’s main use is to take me surfing and the boards don’t fit that well! Yes I could get roof racks but why not use it as an excuse to upgrade to a wagon?!
    Anyway I digress
    I’ve been eyeing off a few B7 Alltracks and had a few questions...
    Firstly are they good? Drive seems comfortable but reliability? Understand you need to make sure there’s no shunting in the DSG...anything else?

Also I am trying to understand the main differences between a 2013 and say a 2015? Understand there was a slight engine upgrade from 12 - 13 but what about later on?

The reason I ask is I found a nice 13 model, low kms (55000) that’s currently priced a few grand below a 15 with 75000
    Both have sports pack and extras, the 15 is a slightly better colour but otherwise are they pretty much the same?

Final question I promise? Is it worth my while springing the extra cash for an early B8? Or should I just target a late B7?

Cheers guys and thanks for your help / input

Gusto
    I just swapped from a MY13 B7 to a MY17 B8. There’s still a fair price hike between them but if you can afford it I’d go for the B8.

Nothing wrong with the B7 though. And the sports pack adds some nice features, I miss the paddle shift from our B7 as the B8 doesn’t have unless you spring for the Wolfsburg edition. If your taking it to the beach or camping trips etc, look into some 16” wheels and some AT tyres. It makes a world of difference to ride quality off road and looks sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback.

The two I’m looking at these

Access Denied

Access Denied

I think the 13 is better value but I could look negotiate the 15

This 16 B8 is tempting tho

Access Denied

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2017 B8 Passat Alltrack.
    My wife has a 2012 B7 2WD diesel Passat.

The more I drive my Alltrack during weekdays the more I hate it. I'm now driving my wife's passat on the weekends instead.

The gearbox programming on the B8 Alltrack is utter crap to the point where I'm now looking to just dump the vehicle for whatever I can get for it.
    In normal drive mode (D), the car is soooo slow to engage from standing still and wants to up-shift way too early and way too often.
    Eg entering a roundabout, it will drop to 2nd gear you slow down, then immediately upon exiting the roundabout it will shift to 3rd, then a split second later drop back to 2nd.

So you find yourself swapping between Sports mode and normal Drive mode even in sedate daily driving.

Would I buy another. 100% no way ever!
    unless I can find a way of reprogramming this gearbox...

It's awesome for highway driving but unfortunately it's rubbish for daily commute

Question on B7 Alltrack

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPantsMan View Post
    I have a 2017 B8 Passat Alltrack.
    My wife has a 2012 B7 2WD diesel Passat.

The more I drive my Alltrack during weekdays the more I hate it. I'm now driving my wife's passat on the weekends instead.

The gearbox programming on the B8 Alltrack is utter crap to the point where I'm now looking to just dump the vehicle for whatever I can get for it.
    In normal drive mode (D), the car is soooo slow to engage from standing still and wants to up-shift way too early and way too often.
    Eg entering a roundabout, it will drop to 2nd gear you slow down, then immediately upon exiting the roundabout it will shift to 3rd, then a split second later drop back to 2nd.

So you find yourself swapping between Sports mode and normal Drive mode even in sedate daily driving.

Would I buy another. 100% no way ever!
    unless I can find a way of reprogramming this gearbox...

It's awesome for highway driving but unfortunately it's rubbish for daily commute
    Leave it in sports mode? The eco/drive shift mapping is definitely different than the B7 but the newer one feels quicker comparing B8 sport to B7 sport.

I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Gusto View Post
    Thanks mate appreciate the feedback.

The two I’m looking at these

Access Denied

Access Denied

I think the 13 is better value but I could look negotiate the 15

This 16 B8 is tempting tho

Access Denied
    That dark blue B7 is very nice for the price but higher KM than the white B8 but overall not too bad. I couldn’t cope with the non sport seats of the brown one though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    There was also a thread with an issue with failed water pumps for the B7 Passat (and in my case, AllTrack).

Just doing the 105K service today, and I've been hit with replacement front pads, the front boots, and some arm thingy which I can't remember the name of. Otherwise, the car was fine up to this point (Bought June 2013)

Users Country Flag
    Leaving it in Sports mode isn't practical as Sports is really only meant for aggressive driving.
    I've tried this. It's not really a good solution because the bloody car wants to hold a really low gear for going downhill.

There's no happy medium for this gearbox.
    It's either Sport mode for aggressive driving.
    Or really sluggish and lazy Drive mode for geriatric driving.

The more I drive it as a daily commuter, the more I hate the car.
    Apparently the R-line version is SOOOOO much nicer in this regards.

Anyways... Can't wait to dump this car...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPantsMan View Post
    Leaving it in Sports mode isn't practical as Sports is really only meant for aggressive driving.
    I've tried this. It's not really a good solution because the bloody car wants to hold a really low gear for going downhill.

There's no happy medium for this gearbox.
    It's either Sport mode for aggressive driving.
    Or really sluggish and lazy Drive mode for geriatric driving.

The more I drive it as a daily commuter, the more I hate the car.
    Apparently the R-line version is SOOOOO much nicer in this regards.

Anyways... Can't wait to dump this car...
    If you have the 6 speed dq250 you can get the gearbox remapped for about 500 bucks totally changes how it drives make sure you speak to the remapper and tell him how you want it and what its doing so he can sort it
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages