Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passat R36 Brake Pedal Height - Can it be changed

Users Country Flag

Question Passat R36 Brake Pedal Height - Can it be changed

Hi all.

I find the brakes on the R36 need a couple changes. First of all, the brake pedal sits about 5cm higher than the throttle pedal (I measured it). I find this quite uncomfortable and potentially dangerous because I adjust my seat distance for full control of the throttle, with my heel at the base. Whether I left foot brake or right foot brake, I have to lift either leg to reach the pedal (I'm below average height).

Second annoyance is the extremely touchy pedal. I don't daily drive the R36 so when I do jump in, I cause my occupants to nearly hit the windscreen. The range of motion is too short and too high so I have to baby the pedal.

Both of these issues (for me) make driving it fast somewhat daunting.

I've been looking for solutions. I called Race Brakes in Sydney and he only suggested some low dust Ceramic pads to reduce the pad bite.

Since many VAG parts are cross shared, I was wondering if there was a different brake pedal I could fit that would lower the height.

Another idea I have is to change the push rod to a shorter one. And to possibly reduce the amount of brake boosting.

Please help if you have knowledge or experience, or can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Last edited by Elmura; 01-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The brake pedal itself is specific to the Passat, but the mounting bracket on the firewall is a Golf part, so it is possible to fit a Golf pedal.

Whether it still allows sufficient travel without fouling on the floor, is something that you'll no doubt need to invest some time and money into finding out. Any adjustment available would be minimal, and probably detrimental to the braking system's effectiveness.

Perhaps refining your seating position, particularly adjusting the height and angle of the base, might make some difference. Also worth noting that the DSG transmission does not function correctly when left-foot braking is used. I've always found that resting my heel on the carpet a few inches before the accelerator pedal worked best for me, for being able to sufficiently operate both pedals.

A change of pads to a different brand or material should make a difference with regards to them grabbing when cold, which the standard pads always do.

Also bare in mind that the pedals and footrests have been optimised for driver safety in a crash, as everything is plastic and designed to break away or deform on impact. I suspect that this is the reason why the Passat uses a specific pedal to work with the contours of the floor.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Hi, mate.

Umai has addressed your issues quite well. Another suggestion is to fit braided brake lines. This gives the pedal a harder feel and therefore more feel, so you don't feel like you're pushing your foot on a sponge and still getting quite a lot of brake force.

Frando sport pads I have found to reduce the amount of bite and therefore make the pedal less touchy. If you're interested I can supply them.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the responses.

Umai - a mechanic friend of mine suggested I fix pads on the accelerator pedal to raise it to match the brake pedal. As my feet are small (size 8.5), I find having my foot a few cm back means I don't have proper reach and control of both pedals. With left foot braking - something I've been doing most my driving life, I don't accelerate at the same time so no harm is done to the DSG.

Chris - I've never heard of Frando pads. Can you supply product link / info and price.

Users Country Flag
    Resting your foot on the brake pedal with a DSG is fraught with danger as the ECU will sense it and start to disengage the clutches causing slip.
    Just because you have done it forever doesnt make it the thing to do with new technology

Could become very expensive.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Left foot braking... Seems like you need to go back to driving school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ASR36 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is nothing wrong with it in an older tech car Nothing happens except you heat the brakes up if you rest on the pedal too hard. Also I hate the idiots who hold it down a bit and bring the brake lights on all the time.

However in a VW the ECU will sense the pressure and set the car up to begin to stop It will start to disengage the clutches enabling them to slip.

Same with creeping in traffic by lifting foot on the brake pedal, result burnt out clutch plates.

You will get the same results as in a manual car if held on the clutch on a hill. Eventual burning smell, lack of forward progress and a VERY large hole in your wallet.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASR36 View Post
    Hillbilly
    Resting your foot on the brake pedal with a DSG is fraught with danger as the ECU will sense it and start to disengage the clutches causing slip.
    Just because you have done it forever doesnt make it the thing to do with new technology
    Also I hate the idiots who hold it down a bit and bring the brake lights on all the time.
    Ummm. Maybe you both should read my post properly before condescending me. I do not brake at the same time as accelerating! I do not rest my foot on the brake pedal! I use the right foot for throttle, and the left foot for braking.

This was taught to me on the race circuit many years ago as a safer and more efficient control of the car. Think about it. Everyone should learn this. By the time you lift your right foot and move it across to the brake pedal at speed or in an emergency, you travel many metres.

Instead, have your left foot ready before the corner, and the right foot ready to pounce back out of the corner. It equates to faster, safer, and more efficient driving...

Just because you haven't done it before, doesn't mean you've been driving the best way.

Users Country Flag
    From what I have seen of the left foot brakers in my area they seem to use the pedal for a footrest and drive along blissfully unaware of their brakelights flicking on and off constantly.

If you are expert enough not to do that maybe you wont have any trouble.

I am aware of the supposed benefits of doing it but it seems it is not the norm even in the racing fraternity as the only left foot braker in the V8's was Greg Murphy.
    Your car do what you like. Was just pointing out what could happen in a VW if its not done carefully.

Users Country Flag

There is nothing wrong with left foot braking, just do not drive with your foot on it, as if the brake switch activates, you will go nowhere fast (or should be slow). You will find there is Brake Throttle Override. If you have some throttle position and touch the brake so that the switch is triggered, the ECU will cut all input from the throttle, and it will be like you have lifted off the throttle. After you come off the brake it can be up to 2 seconds before control is handed back to the throttle, so if you keep pressing it in the hope that it will pick up, you suddenly get whatever throttle position you are on.

The relativity of brake and throttle height is set so that on "bottoming" out of the brake, it is no lower than a throttle where you have lifted off, and preferably a little higher. This is to stop accidental throttle activation with the brake.

My advice is to take some time to become accustomed to it. If you want, take up left foot braking, however it will take time to get used to. I have had to take up left foot braking for other reasons (severe arthritis resulting from a road accident).
    --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast