Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Passat Clock Spring

Users Country Flag

In the b7 the clockspring, multifunction steering wheel control module and the stalks are all an integrated unit.
    In the b6 they were all separate. Clockspring can be had for about $20 as it's just a plastic housing with a ribbon cable and connectors.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Just had my clock spring give up in my MY13 Passat B7. Are you certain that it's not possible to get an aftermarket part that replaces just the clockspring? I was going to trade the car in the next 6 months, and am trying to avoid any expensive repairs..
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Skodas are not immune from this either. The clock spring on my 2011 Skoda Octavia Scout failed within a month of me buying it. I got the part number from Skoda and found a site in Russia on EBay. I got the whole clock spring including both column stalks as a combined unit for about $200-225.00 from memory including postage. That was January 2017. My mate and I fitted it ourselves.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Was there a lot of coding required? Isn't there an angle sensor used for the reversing camera in that part as well?
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    You just need to copy over the coding from your existing steering wheel control module.
    Steering angle sensor basic settings normally will clear by itself after driving for a few minutes.
    Worst case scenario you need to run the procedure with VCDS/OBD11 which is very simple.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

My car is a Scout and doesn't have a reverse camera. It does have this funky feature that the relevant fog light comes on when you turn a corner. So there is obviously a steering angle sensor. There was no coding required that I recall. I disconnected the battery to remove the airbag. Then once the part was replaced and the battery reconnected there were the usual fault lights that occur when you disconnect the battery and they as usual disappeared in the first 150 metres of driving the car.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    In the b7 the clockspring, multifunction steering wheel control module and the stalks are all an integrated unit.
    In the b6 they were all separate. Clockspring can be had for about $20 as it's just a plastic housing with a ribbon cable and connectors.
    Are you certain that the clockspring is fully integrated with the stalks for all B7? Looking here it seems that the petrol models can replace just the clockspring;

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 5K0953569AL - Clock Spring - with steering control unit (5K0 953 569 AL)

Vagcom says the part in my car is the 5K0 953 569 T though, not AL.

Here's the combined part on ebay; MF Cruise Control Stalk Wiper Switch & Module For VW Passat B6 B7 EU CC | eBay

Looking at the picture it looks like it should be easy to replace just the clock spring as they are put together with some screws.

Stalk without the clockspring; Lever central (3C9 953 501 BM) - VW Passat -2013
    Last edited by iampivot; 26-04-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: additional links
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    Are you certain that the clockspring is fully integrated with the stalks for all B7? Looking here it seems that the petrol models can replace just the clockspring;

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 5K0953569AL - Clock Spring - with steering control unit (5K0 953 569 AL)

Vagcom says the part in my car is the 5K0 953 569 T though, not AL.

Here's the combined part on ebay; MF Cruise Control Stalk Wiper Switch & Module For VW Passat B6 B7 EU CC | eBay

Looking at the picture it looks like it should be easy to replace just the clock spring as they are put together with some screws.

Stalk without the clockspring; Lever central (3C9 953 501 BM) - VW Passat -2013
    Yes you're correct - the clockspring now also has the multifunction steering wheel control module integrated, but it is a separate part to the instrument stalks.

Looks like there's a VW specific tool needed to get off the bolt that holds the steering wheel. Does anyone know if this one is different for different cars, like the anti-theft wheel bolts?
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag

It's an M12 spline, or triple square from memory.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast