Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passat Clock Spring

Users Country Flag

Take the offer.

There's usually no scope for negotiation.

Users Country Flag
    There's a few passat's being wrecked on ebay?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ozrcboy View Post
    Finally got around to putting the car in at VW for assessment. They have offered to:

1. Sell me the part at warranty prices.
    2. Pay for a third of the part.

All up bill would be $450.

What do people think?
    Better than $717 I say...
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

I had my 2007 Tdi done at volkwerke in Greensborough for $400 ish this is a known issue with Passats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    B6 Passat Wagon No KESSY

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've been looking at stuff like this: OE Indicator Wiper Stalk Combination Switch FOR VW Passat EU B6 7 CC NEW | eBay But kind of the last thing you want to hear is the bit in the description where they wont refund if it's the wrong fit. Wreckers - yeah maybe.
    08 Golf GT TDI
    11 (MY12) Passat TDI Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ozrcboy View Post
    Finally got around to putting the car in at VW for assessment. They have offered to:

1. Sell me the part at warranty prices.
    2. Pay for a third of the part.

All up bill would be $450.

What do people think?
    Hi ozrcboy,

My 2012 Tiguan has just got the same problem, and to my frustration I bought the extended warranty (3 years on top of the factory warranty), and I was told at the dealer the "steering wheel and airbag is not covered"!!

The service guy told me it's likely to be the clock spring and it will cost me $1090 to have it fixed!!

Now knowing there was a recall for the clock spring in the US back in Oct 2015, and there are cases like yours, may I ask who did you write to and what was the process for you to get it sorted please?

Users Country Flag
    Just had ours fail at 65,000km on a 2012 Passat along a trip to Sydney and back. To add to the fun we went through a heavy downpour on the Hume between Marulan and Goulburn, and a P plater lost control of his car about 100m in front of us - bouncing off the centre guard wires and back into the right-hand lane causing both lanes to take avoiding action. Not a great time to be without a working airbag.

Mentioned at the dealer the US and Canada recalls but was met with "computer says no recall for your vehicle". It is currently with them to have a new clock spring ordered and fitted on their advice that the car is not safe to drive as it now lacks a working airbag and horn.

I also think this is pretty poor form for an item that should be serviceable for the life of the car, and I also suggest anyone else who has a similar fault lodge an on-line "Vehicle Safety or Non-Compliance Report" with the he Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development here https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl...ing/index.aspx.

Make sure you mention the Canadian and USA voluntary recalls as "Volkswagen considers the safety and satisfaction of its consumers and passengers a top priority".

Volkswagen recalls 41,300 vehicles in Canada for airbag fault - Business - CBC News

2017 206 TSi R-Line

Users Country Flag
    Clock spring is a common failure on many cars.

Just as bulbs, relays and switches are. Where does one draw the line?

Users Country Flag
    I guess VW don't agree with you since they have recalled over 450,000 vehicles in North America due to this airbag safety issue.

If the clock spring failure was just an inconvenience and the MFD controls, stereo buttons and flappy paddles were the only things that were affected you would have a fair point. However something that can also affect the operation of a key safety item like the airbag should be more robust - the worldwide Takata airbag recall (over 50 million vehicles at last count) shows that these things are usually taken more seriously.

2017 206 TSi R-Line

Users Country Flag

VW of America has different policies on warranties and recalls.

A lot of it is very generous.

But you get that in a litigious country.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast