Thread: Passat CC - Retrofitting Discover Media

Users Country Flag

Passat CC - Retrofitting Discover Media

Hi guys !
    Due to COVID-19 boredom in quarantine I started retrofitting Discover Media upgrade in my Passat CC 2011 (pre-facelift). My goal is upgrade from RNS510 to Discover Media.
    I had RNS510 with rear parking camera (original in tipping VW emblem) with guidlines unit.
    But it became more of a nightmare... ☹

I would like to kindly ask you if I can ask you for advice...

I bought:

• Discover Media navigation 5C0035680 (full unlock – CP removed )
    • New parking PDC unit 1K8919472B
    • New RVC guidlines unit 7N0907441B with new cabling wires
    • Also bought new gateway with 5F support 7N0907530BC – but this gateway I using only for coding 5F Discover Media and new 6C RVC unit). At final step I don’t want keep it in car because with this gateway I have lot of not working functions (such as ACC with front assist, ABS, steering wheel lock) and I think will be really problematic - especially steering wheel lock...

With old one gateway seems working everything fine included MAXIDOT informations with Discover Media, also communicate fine with steering wheel (volume, phone – handsfree)...

I put it into operation successfully only parking sensors OPS on unit, but not working rear camera...
    And that is what I want to ask...

• Will I need also upgrade camera ? I have high 5K0827469AP. Will I need high camera 3C8827469D from new CC or can I use old one and I have only bad setting in RVC unit ? I read that Discover media is compatible only with composite cameras and I did not find any spec for my old camera what kind is it – RGB or composite.
    • In RVC unit I have error message (some error with basic setting ). This RVC guidlines unit I bought as brand new – is required any special settings for new units ? I just enabled rear parking camera, choosed Passat CC...
    • Also I read in this forum that RVC unit getting signal from gateway. So is possible this retrofit with keep old one gateway ? I want only make settings and coding with new 7N0 gateway but keep in car at finaly step old gateway...

Many thanks for any reply !!!
    Last edited by hatas; 02-06-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You can't use the 7N0 RVC and 3C0 gateway. They are incompatible.
    I think your best bet would be to use an aftermarket flip badge cam with dynamic guidelines.
    Then you can keep your current gateway so that it doesn't cause all the other flow on effects to steering solumn lock etc
    Something like this:
    Car Flip Logo Reverse Camera for Volkswagen VW Golf 5/6 MK6 Passat B6 CC B7 B8 Golf 7 Emblem Rear View Camera RGB CVBS CCD|rear view camera|flip logocamera rgb - AliExpress
    (Choose Dynamic Universal)
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    kamold - many thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it. Just let me last question.
    As my friend working in original VW stock parts I can buy it for really super prices - I donīt want any China parts in my car...
    So I would like to use original VW part. So If I understand correct - I can use emblem camera but without RVC unit for compatibility with my old 3C0 gateway. Which will be best bet for use? Camera must be composite for Discover Media system ( I think ).
    From Golf MK6, Golf MK7 or Jetta ? From which car is original genuine emblem camera with composite out without RVC ?
    Many thanks !!!

Users Country Flag
    The issue is that you can't use a highline camera module with 3C0 gateway....

Either you go all the way OEM and use 7N0 gateway, 3AA CCM, rewire steering column lock. Need to perform camera calibration with the proper calibration board and ODIS S after loading parameter set with VCP
    OR
    You use an aftermarket flip badge camera. The quality is actually very good and the video quality is superior to my all OEM 7N0 highline module with OEM camera.

The choice is yours...

If you don't want to have highline (dynamic guidelines) then you could probably use a lowline MK7 flip badge...but I'm not 100% sure about this
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

OK thanks. I am not sure if will be enough just only rewire for steering column lock. My friend he had it done same this retrofit Discover Media into his Passat B6. His Passat B6 is same platform as my CC 2011. He have same 7N0 gateway and he told me that steering column lock is bigger issue. For full funcionality he had to purchase an comfort unit from Passat B7 and complicated coding / half coding from Passat B6 and half coding from Passat B7. He didn't find anyone for this job in our country, he had to take comoft unit and bring to anyone in Germany as this must be done on table with computer... not enough cable in the car...allegedly therefore.
    So lowline flip badge from Golf MK7 will be best way for me...
    Thanks !!

Users Country Flag
    Yes as I said needs 3aa CCM.
    Swap is relatively straight forward with eeprom tools and free tool from dunt.at

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ah OK sorry, I have no idea what is 3AA CCM )

Users Country Flag

Very helpful. Thanks! Was looking for a solution to the camera not working since I changed my media system to Kenwood DDX9010DABS.

re:
    I think your best bet would be to use an aftermarket flip badge cam with dynamic guidelines.
    Then you can keep your current gateway so that it doesn't cause all the other flow on effects to steering solumn lock etc
    Something like this:
    Car Flip Logo Reverse Camera for Volkswagen VW Golf 5/6 MK6 Passat B6 CC B7 B8 Golf 7 Emblem Rear View Camera RGB CVBS CCD|rear view camera|flip logocamera rgb - AliExpress
    Last edited by cc2013; 17-07-2020 at 11:49 PM.